Does common law marriage really matter?

I have been with my boyfriend for 8 years and he is still technically married to another woman. He has been legally separated from her for 5 years now. I have been asking for him to get the divorce finalized so we can make our commitment legal. He had lied to me and told me he can t do that until he pays the ex... show more I have been with my boyfriend for 8 years and he is still technically married to another woman. He has been legally separated from her for 5 years now. I have been asking for him to get the divorce finalized so we can make our commitment legal. He had lied to me and told me he can t do that until he pays the ex half of his pension that she is entitled to...ummm?? Payments? Right? It s a large pension so I understand, he does not want to pay her anymore money, she got a really nice chunk of alimony. However I feel it s unfair to me and our kids to not move forward. My boyfriend is 50 years old now and I fear that she will make all the decisions regarding his health and assets if ever he would be unable to make those decisions. I m building my life with this man, putting in money to reach our goals as a couple, I don t want his ex to be entitled to what we have worked for.. Does common law protect me at all in this matter?
14 answers 14