Does anyone else think that the Cruze with the 1.4 Turbo is short of get-up-and-go?

My daughter got a 2005 Cavalier in 2008 with 58,000 miles on it. The car has been incredibly reliable needing only a fuel pump and a water pump in 7 years. Besides routine maintenance of course. With the 2.2L engine it was quite peppy and met her needs on the short on-ramps thay have on the old freeways in the... show more My daughter got a 2005 Cavalier in 2008 with 58,000 miles on it. The car has been incredibly reliable needing only a fuel pump and a water pump in 7 years. Besides routine maintenance of course. With the 2.2L engine it was quite peppy and met her needs on the short on-ramps thay have on the old freeways in the north-east.

Now she graduated with her advanced degree and started a new job that pays quite well. Since the Cavalier had almost 150,000 on the clock, and she was incredibly pleased with her experience with the Cavalier she first looked at a Cruze. She drove one with a 1.8 and found it not as snappy but good enough. However, at the trim level she wanted, it only came with a 1.4L Turbo.

Trying one she found it had no get up and go until it hit about 4000 RPM. But right off the line it was just a slug. Also consider she is originally from BC where we have a highway that just kills turbochargers. Where almost no one who knows anything about cars will buy one with a turbo.

We feel there is no replacement for displacement for get up and go off the line. SO because she could not get the top line model with a normally aspirated engine, she got a 2.0L Mazda 3 GT. No turbo. Plenty oz Zoom-zoom.

The Focus was rejected as the current Focus is too ugly and the Dart was rejected as she says she sees a dead one by the side of the road almost every day.

Sorry US car makers but she did check the US brands first.
Update: The Cruzes she tested were 2015 demo units at a Chevy dealer. The Mazda 3 is a 2015 with 22 miles on the clock when she got it. She got $1900 trade in for her ex-rental 2005 Cavalier with manual crank windows. She knows all about depreciation on new cars. She does not care. She has a degree in economics. I have... show more The Cruzes she tested were 2015 demo units at a Chevy dealer. The Mazda 3 is a 2015 with 22 miles on the clock when she got it. She got $1900 trade in for her ex-rental 2005 Cavalier with manual crank windows. She knows all about depreciation on new cars. She does not care. She has a degree in economics.

I have a 2004 Focus myself and other than eating 3 alternators it has 120,000 miles on it and has been reasonably good.
Update 2: I imagine that it is CAFE regulations that force GM to put such a small engine in the Cruze trim level that people really want to buy. Likely the MPG testing currently mandated does not cause the turbo to cut in very often. Mazda with fewer big SUVs in their mix of sales can meet the rules while offering a higher... show more I imagine that it is CAFE regulations that force GM to put such a small engine in the Cruze trim level that people really want to buy. Likely the MPG testing currently mandated does not cause the turbo to cut in very often.

Mazda with fewer big SUVs in their mix of sales can meet the rules while offering a higher performance engine.

GM will conclude that people do not like the Cruze though she would have bought one if the top trim level was available with the 1.8 engine.
Update 3: A manual transmission is out of the question. While both my daughter and I can drive a manual we chose not to. We feel they are obsolete and are too distracting. All the things manual gearbox fans claim is wrong with automatics was fixed over 15 years ago. As a human I feel we should have to do things machines can... show more A manual transmission is out of the question. While both my daughter and I can drive a manual we chose not to. We feel they are obsolete and are too distracting. All the things manual gearbox fans claim is wrong with automatics was fixed over 15 years ago. As a human I feel we should have to do things machines can do and better. Yes a manual can be more fun to drive at times but those times are few and far between these days.