Why do I pronounce "frontier" this way?

My wife pointed out to me that I pronounce the first syllable of "frontier" like the "fran" in "franz", while she pronounces the first syllable like "front".

Looking it up online and in the OED, it sounds as though she's "right" about the pronunciation.

Where did I get my pronunciation of "frontier" from? Or should I just accept that it's flat-out wrong?

My dad is from the Midwest U.S. and my mom's background included both the Northeast and Southeast U.S., while my wife was born and raised in California.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago

"frontier" is pronounced on the East Coast USA (by me at least) as frawn (like the frawn in frond) followed by teer (like the tear that fell from her eye at the confusion over how to pronounce the word 'frontier').

Frawn-Teer

The British pronounce it Frun Teer:

frontier

[fruhn-teer, fron-; also, esp. British, fruhn-teer]

Spell Syllables

Synonyms Examples Word Origin

noun

the part of a country that borders another country; boundary; border.

the land or territory that forms the furthest extent of a country's settled or inhabited regions.

Also, the Russian litter O is sometimes pronounced A: Any Russians in your family?

Hope this helps.

Source(s): TLM
  • 5 years ago

It's a "twang" common among those of the Midwest.

• MaryB
    Lv 6
    5 years ago

I'm not sure which pronunciation you're using. "Fran" can be pronounced like "frantic" or "Hans and Franz."

However, your mother is correct. Here in the middle east where I live, it is pronounced like "front door."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.