phone or tablet?

hi, im really stuck between choosing one so please help me. ok let give details,

im a 19 yrs old boy, currently im student of Dentistry, i have and obsolete phone (Samsung c3330) and my budget is limited so i can either buy a tablet or a phone, i usually travel 2-3 hrs a day to get to my university and in this time i can study, im entering years of my university when i have to read pdf/ebooks/articles on web frequently, i may want to watch movies/videos occasionally, i dont want the tablet/phone for gaming, but may game occasionally when im bored, i also may need to type some programming codes/web codes in a text editor as a draft or idea for my ongoing IT projects, i dont have problems carrying tablets around. all this shifts me towards buying a tablet and all things i said can be done on a phone but with a bit more difficulty than a tablet; but having an obsolete phone makes me want to get a phone also, but my budget wont allow it cause my parents dont help me on this and all money i have has been earned by myself,

and i can buy up to a 64gb cellular ipad air 2 or an iphone 6 16 gb (i cant buy iphone 64gb) or other less expensive choices in our region like galaxy s6 or galaxy tab s.

and please take this into consideration , that i want it to be durable and be supported by a long time so i dont have to replace it sooner than lets say 3-4 yrs

so what do u think? which one i should buy?

Favorite Answer

Legally purchased or rented PDF-like e-textbooks often cannot be download to a phone. Neither Amazon nor Barnes & Noble allow their "looks just like the print book" e-textbooks to be downloaded to anything smaller than a tablet.

Also PDF's are near-unreadable on small devices, including 6-inch ones. PDF-like documents are fixed format with fixed fonts and fixed line endings. If the screen is too small for you to read the text, the only option is to zoom and drag the document back and forth to read it.

IMO - look at the Samsung Android tablets - they usually have a microSD card slot so large ebooks may be storable on that (depending on the reader app's settings). Or get iPad - you will not have a microSD card but you can buy an iPad with more internal memory. However, I recommend against iBooks if you are purchasing. iBooks forever require Apple hardware to read them so you would be locking yourself to Apple hardware for life if you want to access your iBooks. Instead I would recommend putting the Amazon app on your iPad and buying/rentingebooks from Amazon.

Hey!

From what you have described i'd go with a tablet. If you need to read things like pdf etc for university then a tablet is the better option. You'll strain your eyes on a phone as screen is much smaller. You can get games on a tablet as well all the ones on Android and IOS phones are same on tablet devices. Tablet is also much better for coding than on a phone.

I have the nexus 7 for 2 years now and ive had no issues with it. If you have the choice of an ipad air 2 you could just get a refurbished ipad and have some money left over for a decent android phone too?

Hope that helps

I would go for the tablet. The phone is basically a smaller less convenient tablet with calling functionality. But since you already have a phone (even if its outdated) you can benefit from the convenience of a tablet and still have the ability to call people aslong as you don't mind having to switch between devices to do so.

Phone, a tablet is more like a portable personal device.

thank you so much :D i really appreciate your advise.