Need advice for my future career as a pilot?

hello,i have always wanted to be a pilot so i decided to start my flight training the next year,but i have few questions,i would be glad if someone can answer them

1-when i searched for flight schools in canada i noticed multiple ratings and licences so i am a bit confused, What Licences/ratings should i acquire EXACTLY in order to start my career and work for an airline such as egyptair(my national carrier),and can those licences/rating convert to egyptian ones?

2-for some reasons i am only free 3-3.5 months a year so can i enroll into a part of the program.lets assume the next summer the PPL and a rating,the summer after the CPL and a rating.

i know a year gap of no FLYING can cause losing of skills,and may need extra flying and studying before i enroll my self back in one of the courses,but that's not a problem i am a hard worker.

(i dont understand that licence and ratings stuff,this is just an assumption)

3-how much would each licence/rating cost approximately

4-how much would each licence/rating take to complete if i kept flying and studying every day(since i am only free for a very limited time a year)

5-what is better to have my licences/rating from canada or the USA.

that is all,i know i am asking too many but i finally got the chance,and i dont want to miss things up


4 Answers

  • 4 years ago
    Best Answer

    In Canada, every pilot must begin with a student pilot permit. This requires visiting an approved medical examiner to obtain a medical certificate and passing the PSTAR written examination. After that one can begin training for either the Private Pilot license or Recreational Pilot license for single engine aircraft. For most people going on to get other licenses and ratings, then getting a Private Pilot license makes the most sense. Next you obtain an instrument rating and multi-engine rating. It doesn't particularly matter what order you take these courses in, but for insurance purposes regarding the rental of certain higher performance aircraft most people do the instrument rating first. With additional training and when you have accrued enough flight time you can apply for a commercial pilot license for single engine or multi-engine aircraft, or both. Finally, with further flight experience you can eventually take the Airline Transport Pilot course.

    There is no requirement to finish any one of those courses in a specific amount of time but it is recommended that in your limited time each year you try to finish one or two courses because taking a 9 month break can really set you back to the point of having to do nearly everything over.

    You should be able to complete the Private Pilot course in 3 months or less if you fly and study full time. On average, this will require 50-60 flight hours. The minimum is 40. The same is true of the instrument rating. On average it requires 50-60 flying hours but the minimum is 40. A multi-engine course can be completed in a week or two and requires 5 to 10 hours of flying practice, but it will take 15-20 if you hold an instrument rating already and wish to become be instrument qualified as a multi-engine pilot. Completion of the commercial pilot requirements depends on how long it takes to accrue the required 250 hours total flying experience.

    If you have completed the first three courses in 125 hours for example, then you wold need an additional 125 hours of flying, including the commercial pilot test preparation course. This is typically accrued by doing a series of cross-country flights of specified distance and duration. Except for the test preparation It doesn't have to be completed in a formal course, it can be done for recreation. T

    he Airline Transport Pilot license is similar in that you must accrue 1500 total hours and take a test preparation course. Most people build up to 1500 hours by working as a commercial pilot in a non-airline capacity. It is possible to obtain a "restricted ATPL" in less time but it cannot be used for being a captain, only a copilot.

    Since the only available job for many pilots is working for a couple of years as a flight instructor you should consider getting the instructor ratings. I will not discuss the details of that here except to say that teaching flying is how many pilots reach the required 1500 hour mark for the ATPL.

    The licenses and ratings obtained from almost any country can be converted to Egyptian pilot licenses an ratings. However, because Egypt conforms to EASA (European) standards i would be wise to train at a school that provides EASA licensing, not Canadian CAA or American FAA licensing. There are schools in both countries that provide this training, or upon completion of CAA or FAA licensing you can take a transition course.

    The cost varies depending on where you fly and what aircraft you fly. It is slightly more expensive to fly in Canada than the USA. In approximate numbers, you can expect the PPL and instrument rating to cost $8,000 o $10,000 each. A multi-engine rating with instrument proficiency will also cost approximately $8,000 to $10,000, or about $5000 for VFR proficiency.

    Depending on what plane(s) you fly, the flight time needed to be eligible for the CPL can cost between $15,000 to $25,000 including the test preparation course. A complete conversion course to convert an FAA or CAA CPL with instrument and multi-engine privileges to the EASA standard will cost about $10,000 to $15,000 extra. The cost of the ATPL depends on how you accumulate the required flight hours. If you obtain the restricted ATPL and do it entirely through training instead of working as a commercial pilot (such as a flight instructor), the cost will be somewhere between $20,000 and $40,000 additional cost.

    You can read more about Canadian licensing here:

  • Flying commercially is completely different than flying for fun. It costs you a fortune to go through all of the training and logging all of the time required. Its a lot of studying too.

    I suggest that you find a career that you will enjoy and that will pay you well. Then you can get your pilots license and buy a plane. You can find used ones in great shape that are reasonably affordable.

  • 4 years ago

    Due to what you say in 2 of your question you cannot get a commercial multi engine licence - its just not possible to do it like that

    ...."so can i enroll into a part of the program.lets assume the next summer the PPL and a rating,the summer after the CPL and a rating" - No you cannot.

    It actually takes a few years of constant training and then somehow getting some experience on much smaller planes, leading to cargo planes and then onto airliners

    career wise this is not going to happen for you in the way you think it can

    • Ahmed4 years agoReport

      well,that is disappointing guess i will have to look for another way to do it
      can you tell me at least what licences/ratings should i get to work for an airline? just to keep it in mind,maybe in the future things will get better
      sorry about the english and thank you

  • 4 years ago

    Don't crash and burn

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.