Engineering or Finance?

I was thinking of becoming a Mechanical engineer but my community college said it will take me 4 years at the community college and 3-4 years at a university. Should I just do Finance and get a MBA?

-I choose engineering because everyone says there are many great opportunities for engineers opposed to business majors.

-But if I major in Finance and get a MBA, will it still be as beneficial and rewarding as a bachelors in engineering?

Answers are more than appreciated

• Prof
    Favorite Answer

Community college should be used to satisfy the general education requirements of the four-year school that you eventually attend. It should not take more than four academic years of full-time study to get your first degree; longer for part-time study. Make sure your community school courses are all accepted for credit at the four-year school you select. Whether you get a degree in engineering or finance, it should take about the same number of courses--usually about 120-130 credit hours.

MBA programs accept students from any undergraduate field. They prefer students who do not have a business major because there is too much duplication between undergraduate business classes and MBA classes, and it leaves students with a narrow focus. Businesses hiring MBA graduates want students who can understand and communicate with the scientists and engineers that they have to manage. The best majors are STEM majors (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics), but other majors are acceptable. Any field can use good management. So if you plan on an MBA, engineering is a better choice.

MBA programs prefer students with 2-5 years of work experience after your first degree. To enroll in an MBA program without work experience is usually a waste of time and money. You are less attractive as a job candidate than someone with an undergraduate business degree because they have a major in a relevant field, and you are less attractive in your undergraduate field because you have been out of it for two years and are obsolete and in competition with more attractive new graduates. If you keep a job during the time you are getting your degree, you should be able to go into the MBA right after the bachelors.