Brandon asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 4 years ago

Why is the confederate flag considered racist?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Maia
    Lv 4
    4 years ago
    Best Answer

this is why all confederate flags are considered racist:

"our new government was founded on exactly the opposite idea: its foundations are laid, its corner stone rests upon the great truth that the [black man] is not equal to the white man: that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical and moral truth" Alexander Stephens, Vice President of the Confederate States, April 1861

The CSA was created to maintain slavery. This is a fact, whether this caused the war or not, is what historians and individuals can't agree on. So, those flags (all of the confederate flags) represented a nation that was created to maintain slavery on the basis that the white race is superior.

It is no accident that Confederate symbols have been the mainstay of white supremacist organizations. They did not appropriate the Confederate battle flag simply because it was pretty. They picked it because it was the flag of a nation dedicated to their ideals: 'that the [black man] is not equal to the white man'.

Re-purposing the flag to represent southern traditions and values, the way many southerners/and non-southerners have, would be akin to a German picking up a flag of the Third Reich, waving it with pride and honor, and saying it doesn't represent the Third Reich but bratwurst and beer. By doing that they dismiss history and suffering their ancestors caused. Ask almost any German today if they are proud of their WW2 vets and they will undoubtedly with no hesitation say, no.

We should take a lesson away from the German: We should always remember our history, that doesn't mean we should always be proud of it.

• 4 years ago

Because it was a symbol of the CSA. I get why people would just generally say that it's racist but the reality is that it is just a flag. The difference here is that southern white people think that it is a heritage thing and a symbol of the South, while blacks and select white people think that it is a symbol for slavery. I'm part of the former, but I respect everyone else's views and do not fly a Confederate flag in public, though I do have one on the wall in my house.

This issue will never be resolved. If the flag is let be, then black people and select white people will protest it's existence. If the flag is banned, then it will be chaos and could likely cause a second Civil War.

• 4 years ago

The kkk flies the Confederate flag just like the Nazis flew the swastika. It was used as a battle flag for the south in the civil war, and while slavery wasn't the only reason for it, it was a very large part. The flag became popular again during different racial controversies like Storm Thurmond's run for president and Brown vs. board of education. The racists brought it back to use as a symbol for their cause.

• 4 years ago

The two major social groups that adopted the Confederate Battle Flag were/are clearly racist. The KKK and the Democratic party. A quick review of political buttons shows that even the Clintons used this on much of their political promotional material in the last twenty years. The KKK was an extension of the Democratic party and more then likely you would have found a booth at the national convention for the "Tri Kappa" when Obama was nominated.

So because the Democrats are racists at heart- they see it as a racist image because it was their standard for over 100 years.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Because it represents an army for a part of the nation that tried to keep African Americans inslaved. That flag was the southern American flag during the civil war. A war over slavery. It represents an ignorant group of hillbillies that think slavery is ok and a good idea now. It's racist for those reasons, if you like the flag because of its design and find it interesting, that's fine. Just be ready for people to say something to you if you have it in public sight. If you like the flag because of what it represents, then your ignorance is most likely incurable due to stupidity.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

It represents southern heritage in the minds of most southerners who have one..not racism. Most people don't even understand what southern pride actually means or entails...It is a way of life more than it is racism. The flag has had meanings of racism in the past, but today it simply represents pride in the south. I am a proud southerner and have a flag in my home. It is not a racist thing.

• 4 years ago

In the 1960's the segregationists choose the Confederate flag as a symbol for segregationism,

and against civil rights.

• 4 years ago

I'm a Republican and I admit that the Confederate flag can be viewed as racist. This is because the Confederates relied on their slaves and that is why they seceded. It is "racist" because the slaves happened to be black.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Because it was used as the flag of a rebel nation who seperated to preserve slavery and because it was used by various groups such as the KKK as a symbol of white hatred of blacks during the Jim Crow period. Churchs were fire bombs, innocent people of color tortured, burned, beat to death and hung, under the banner of that flag...........

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

YES. Next Flag, the Black Panthers flag. Just saying.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.