What's up with the confederate flag?

I keep hearing something about it and I don't really know what's going on. I don't watch the news at all, I avoid it at all costs. It's weird, I know, but can someone please explain to me what's happening?

• Maia
    Favorite Answer

Why is this question under women's health. Anyways, you know what the confederate flags are. The flags (all of them) represent the Confederate States of America (CSA). The CSA was created b/c states declared that they were seceding from the Union in order to maintain their right to slavery; You can read each states declarations of secession; just google it. And almost every single state names slavery as their reason to secede. Now, many people argue over what was the cause/reason for the civil war. Some historians disagree about what caused the war or what was the reason for war. But most historians agree that the nations seceded the union to have slavery. That is not in dispute. So these flags represent a nation who was formed on the basis of slavery.

There are several confederate flags. The most popular one is the Battle Flag of Northern VA. That flag was waving on state grounds in S.C.

Ok.....After Dylann Roof killed 9 African Americans at the Emanuel AME Church, just b/c they were Black, all flags were flown half staff. The Confederate flag -- which has flown next to the Confederate Soldier's Monument since 2000, when it was removed from atop the South Carolina capitol dome -- didn't budge, because it's held in place by a padlock. By law, the flag couldn't be removed. The difference in how the US/state flag and the confederate flag was flown did not go unnoticed. There was a demand from the public to have the confederate flag come down from state grounds. But there was also protest against that demand. Many southerners view the confederate flags as a symbol of southern values and way of life. Though that argument would be akin to a German saying they view the flag of the Third reich as a symbol of beer and bratwurst.

Gov. Haley said she would call a special legislative session if South Carolina lawmakers don't take up the issue of the Confederate flag this session.

• Taylor5 years agoReport

I have no idea how it ended up in women's health, I didn't pay much attention in what category it ended up in. I just noticed when you told me now, I changed it. Anyway, thank you so much ^^

Watch the news.