Stefan
Lv 5
Stefan asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 6 years ago

How is it possible that someone can get electrocuted?

Consider that there is an uninsulated wire and I, while wearing shoes, touch the wire.

Do I get shocked? Yes, no, why?

If I am not wearing shoes but am standing on an insulated surface, do i get shocked? Why or why not?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 6 years ago

    Even if you are perfectly insulated, your body has some capacitance so some current will flow (assuming AC). At say 240V, this might equate to just tingling.

    Floors are not necessarily perfect insulators so higher currents may flow.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.