The Confederate Flag, Racism, and Dylann Roof.?

Do you feel like there is any connection between the Confederate flag and racism?

My take on it is this. I am African American. When I see the Confederate Flag I see a racist symbol. A lot of southern people claim it to represent Southern Pride and Etc. but for African Americans epically those who live in the south that flag has much more meaning. When ever I see the confederate flag I see it as a representation of the KKK. why... because they fly that flag whenever they go on a N**ga Lynching Hunt. So it's only natural that when I see one two things come to mind. 1) Don't take yo *** over there and 2) Get the hell out cause your not welcome here.

A lot of people misunderstand what it means to be Black and see a confederate flag. For us its a symbol of oppression much like how the Nazi symbol is for the Jews. It has history behind it, and for us that is oppression. You wouldn't like it if someone went a placed a Nazi flag on a building saying that it represents German Pride and that its not racist in any way when the history says other wise.

I understand the confederate flag mean a lot of things that southern took pride in. like how they pulled away from the union. how the northern states did things to drain the south. all that other stuff but in the end it did represent a set of beliefs that people had, and those people were and still till this day Racist *and I'm talking about the individuals that lived in the past* you just can't leave out that part.

It seems like a lot of people that are responding to my post *To me, my opinion* are basically saying to forget the meaning and just accept that the flag is now trying to be used for something positive. There making comparisons to what's going on today instead of the past and what it means. Unfortunately I can't do that. I would be like me forgetting slavery and just brushing it off. Even if it didn't happen to me, or to the people around me. It still happened and me forgetting it is wrong.

I feel like its a slap in the face of former slaves and former civil rights activist. I'm not just going to accept something because people say that it is the past, nor will I accept it as just being a small group using it for there own malicious reasons. The fact remains that in that time not even 40 years ago racism was prevalent and strong. Something like that doesn't go away in one night, and comparing what's happening now to what happen back ten is a slap in the face because when it boils

to it the same can be said for the people going through it now in the future and you would want them to accept it the same. one person said this " look at it another way If you were a palestinian,every day of their lives they see a REAL symbol of hatred & oppression,the Israeli flag.They get bombed,killed,tortured." well guess what the same happened to African americans we were bombed -look up the four black girls that died in a church it was a bomb we were killed and tourtched and look at wh

what your saying to us. so there some food for thought ill stop ranting now.

Favorite Answer

The KKK today don't lynch or go on the hunt to lynch anyone, ISIS has taken over that barbaric trate. So unless you have a bunch of ISIS members in your area there no need to worry about the KKK. KKK are an old group that have lower member numbers today then ever and thier main message now a days is preserving the white population/white breeding. Kind of the same things the New Black Panther Party are stating to blacks = breed with blacks.

Unlike the German Nazi Flag, the Confederate Flag didn't start out as a racist symbol, it was turned into a racist symbol by people and thier perceptions. There is a great deal of history behind the Confederate Flag but since people have turned it into some ugly hate message, it's true battle flag meaning has lost all glory. It will no longer proudly fly in public government places in the South as it is to be removed and taken down with shame. The people that turned the Confederate Flag into a racist symbol have won. Are you happy now?

No i see it as National Pride

you do Know that the Great General Lee' s Home is now a Monument to lee therefore should have the CSA flag Flying from it and the St Andrews cross Battle flag Flying from the Ramparts

You bring up valid points, but were ALL the people of the past who flew confederate flags racist? Just something to consider.

look at it another way

If you were a palestinian,every day of their lives they see a REAL symbol of hatred & oppression,the Israeli flag.They get bombed,killed,tortured & so on.

The KKK is a toothless tiger,& quite frankly,irrelevant to your argument,How many times has the KKK burnt crosses in your front yard?

How many blacks were killed this last weekend by other blacks?

How many blacks did the KKK kill last weekend?

It shows that the black people sadly,cannot move forward & pretend there is a Klansmen at every street corner,it's not 1920 anymore

Let the southerners,if they choose to,fly the flag

Dylann roof was a parasite,& no-one will say otherwise.

• Sarah

I don't know what that flag is since I never studied the American history, but I can tell you if the majority of these guys are covering their faces that means they realise how wrong holding that flag and how shameful is that and they are scared as well.

• Nguyen

The Confederate Flag was designed by a democrat. The democrats stoped removal of it .

Democrats started the KKK to stop BLACKs and southern whites from voting.

Dylann Roof an insane guy caring on the hate of democrats.

Funny how the start the KKK and now claim to advocate for minorities.

Funny how a proud racist a democrat placed planparenthood in minority areas to eliminate them.

I'm going to get a Confederate flag now.

By education from my mother's knee,I am an adversary my whole life to the KKK. This would not be the first time I have changed my stand on an issue because the KKK took the opposite side. When I was much younger, being a Northerner, I knew nothing of a need for a civil rights movement until I found out KKK opposed it. From then on, I was a supporter of the movement, because the Klan has never stood for anything intelligent or fair or just. They are Nazi supporters and/or affiliates.

no, you are a black racist hypocrite... you see everything in the context you want to see it, in terms of what you desire from the white societies you inhabit and what you can use to try and moralize and justify it. the confederate flag is one of your many excuses.

"but in the end it did represent a set of beliefs that people had"... no, that is again just you and your agenda and hatred at work, its intellectual cowardice at its finest. you WANT it to be about something specific... like many other things with america... its NOT about you and thats what irks you.