Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 5 years ago

Why is the confederate flag such an issue all of a sudden?

It's not like it's a new thing. I know the original meaning of the flag has been mutated into one of racism and bigotry, but it's been like that for a while.

I do not see the flag as a symbol of racism, but of something similar to the original american flag. People who didn't like the rules of the land where they were, so they tried to leave. The only difference between the civil and revolutionary wars at their centers is that the south lost, but america won. The freeing of slaves was not the intent of the north in the war, but a product of the solution.

I understand that some may see it as a symbol of racism. The Sons of the Confederacy, I agree, are little more than a hate group who want the lifestyle of a certain time period. They don't understand much more than their family lost, so they should hate the winners, from what I have seen of their representatives. But that isn't a reason for this complete removal of a chapter of our history, either. When America was founded, slavery wasn't an issue and yet the early American flags aren't an issue.

If it is just a case of the symbol being twisted by the group (similar to the swastika) then so be it, I just want to know why all of a sudden and not fifty years ago.

I am aware of the Charleston tragedy. If that is all that is causing it then I understand why.

I always thought the flag was a way of honoring the fallen of the civil war for the confederate side (who my family sided with, weather it aligns with today's morals or not). It's a shame that it has become what it is.

The rule I was reffering to was a tax (tarrif?) that the south was paying enough for them to not like it.

• justa
    Favorite Answer

It's not a removal of history, it's been suggested that the flags be relegated to museums, and private homes if they wish to label themselves as bigots, and their HOA allows it. Its whether or not it belongs on state government buildings. Fifty years ago, was when the Republican party took in the Dixiecrats who left due to the Democrats position on civil rights. Fifty years ago Republicans didn't want to alienate their new members and so they encouraged the use of the confederate flag in public places. There was some discussion of it, but not much. I don't mean to imply here that Democrats were all that interested in pushing civil rights either, it was a hot button topic for the nation, on both sides. But the flag was a reminder that the South had committed treason, tried to tear apart the country and that was met with resentment, at least up north. Civil wars are particularly ugly, setting as it does, family against family. It's been a topic off and on several times. With the South always making excuses. But the fact is that its a rallying point for racists, bigots, and people who still aren't happy with a United States. People have seen the way its used and they don't like to see discrimination and its reminder of slavery still extant in the US today. It's on its way out. Finally. The extremists will have to find a different banner, one that doesn't try to claim history as an excuse for their behavior.

The only thing the Confederates really disliked about the rules of the land where they were, was that they allowed half of it and potentially more than half of it to outlaw slavery. Which in the long run would lead to that nation outlawing it entirely. It is the most profound kind of arrogance to at a later date assume that you understand the reasons why the leaders of the southern states were leading their states into secession better than those men themselves did. Read what they have to say about it in their declarations of causes. They are not ambiguous:

For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. They have endeavored to weaken our security, to disturb our domestic peace and tranquility, and persistently refused to comply...

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world...

We assert that fourteen of the States have deliberately refused, for years past, to fulfill their constitutional obligations, and we refer to their own Statutes for the proof.

The Constitution of the United States, in its fourth Article, provides as follows: "No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up, on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due."

She (Texas) was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as ***** slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time.

That being said...it is simply not the case that there was no dispute of the use of the Confederate flag fifty years ago. There was. But given how many people at the time and in the area really did feel that getting rid of slavery was a bad idea, there was no chance that the Confederate flag would be abandoned. In truth it's not likely that it will be now either.

It's not like it wasn't an issue beforehand - it's just no one was listening to the people who were complaining until some atrocity forced them to confront the issue.

People have been calling for the removal of the traitor flag from government buildings for decades.

By the way, the various flags of the Confederacy never stood for anything apart from slavery, since that was the exclusive and explicit rationale the leaders of the CSA gave for founding the country. The whole, entire purpose of the Confederacy was slavery, based on white supremacy - that's what their leaders themselves said at the time. They explicitly stated this fact, saying in no uncertain terms that they were founding a country on the basis of slavery and white supremacy. "Taxes" had nothing to do with it - the fact that they lost an election and so could not use the federal government as a club for the benefit of slavery was the impetus.

"Why is the confederate flag such an issue all of a sudden?"

Because of the Charleston tragedy.

"the confederate flag... a symbol of... People who didn't like the rules of the land where they were"

Do you have any insight into which particular northern rule was so objectionable to the confederates?

"The rule I was reffering to was a tax (tarrif?) that the south was paying enough for them to not like it."

Are you suggesting that the south seceded because of a tax?

• esim345
      5 years agoReport

The south was represented in any votes on taxation in the 1860s.

• Elaine

I wonder how unimportant it would be to you if you were black and being dragged behind a truck with a Confederate Flag flying from the antenna. You people can try to deflect all you want from the fact that those who worship the Confederate flag are trying to turn back the clock to a time when blacks knew their place and did what you wanted them to. It won't work.

• Edward

In light of the recent church massacre in South Carolina; by a loser with a really bad haircut, South Carolina's flag will no longer be/feature the Stars and Bars.

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

This is it. The Ultimate Rebel Bummer.

Fly your flags, gentlemen. As a matter of pride and in honor of the fallen.

I'm a Native New Yorker. And an atheist nihilist.

I can fly an Irish flag if I feel like it. I never feel like flying the Stars and Stripes, it's against my belief system.

Screw the government.

people call it the Traitors Flag well as a Brit so is the Stars and Stripes But then without the stars canton it is 80 % of the British India flag so we Brits dont care

and as for the South being Traitors the Union raised the First army and it was only illegal to leave after the war

• According to the North.

I have heard that the North was aggressive tword the South when they decided to succeed from southern sources. So I would guess it's somewhere in the middle.

• ?

There was a rather galvanizing incident a few days ago in Charleston involving a young man who had a rather intimate relationship to that flag. Maybe you missed reading the news that day.

People looking to make trouble where there isn't any.

The "Thought Police" on the move.

Thousands of kids and even adults have no idea that it "means" anything other than a defeated government's flag.

Most have forgotten the Rally cry, "the South shall rise again!"

Federal power, over states rights, etc. blah blah blah...

All of a sudden? It's been contentious for a long time.