Does the confederate flag stand for racism?

Just want your opinions and a legit source that says its not racist. A lot of people are so quick to judge it, I just want to be able to explain it to a hard headed person. Im not racist at all. I have friends of all backgrounds. Im just wondering what your opinions are on it.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Alex
    Lv 7
    4 years ago
    Best Answer

I guess not technically. It just stands for the Confederate southern states that left the United States and tried to form their own nation.

That nation happened to have slavery of black people.

Likewise, the Nazi German flag is not a racist symbol on its own. It just symbolizes the German nation during its period of time that it was used. However, that same nation did many racist things.

So while technically these two flags are not racist, people don't know better and automatically think the flags represent racism when they don't. So be careful flying them lol.

• 4 years ago

Before accepting a statement that secession was "not about slavery", both sides in such a discussion should read the Articles of Secession of the confederate states.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/primarys...

After doing that, you can have the discussion about what the Confederate Battle Flag represents.

• 4 years ago

I heard on the news that there are archival records (held it a museum) from the designer of the confederate flag. It was in fact meant to represent white supremacy. Sure, it symbolizes Southern culture too, but "whose" Southern culture? Only Southern white people?

• Kevin
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

No, it does not. It stands for the southern states that left the union and formed their own state.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

If it does it's only just been discovered. We call this a 'storm in a teacup' in the UK. Where is the evidence that it has created a problem?

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Yes. It also stands for traitors.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.