Josh asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 5 years ago

windows 10 update?

recently on my laptop ive gotten an option to update to windows 10. should I do that? will it mess anything up or will it remain the same?

i guess what I man is example: now I can delete ike my google account history but on my mothers computerit wont let me will I still be able to do that

• Jack
    Favorite Answer

The update won t be available until the end of July. I wouldn't do the update for a while after it becomes available. Let someone else get the aggravation trying to work out the bugs in it. Just look at the mess Windows 8 is and ask your self if you want that. Wait a couple of months and then look back on answers and see if people are having trouble with Windows 10 before you decide anything.

• Kim4 years agoReport

good advice this is what i was waiting for. Wait to see reviews of the windows testers.

The Windows 10 update, if you reserve your copy, will download in the background on or after July 29, 2015. After the download it then will ask you what time would you like to install it with the option for a "clean" install or an update.

A clean install will wipe out everything on your drive. However, Windows 10 will backup your files and place them into a folder, c:/Windows Old. If you upgrade then Windows 10 will try to preserve each programs' settings.

I've been using Windows 10 Technical Preview for awhile now and I must say I enjoy it very much. It's the best of both worlds coming from Windows 7 and 8.

For more information visit Microsoft's Windows 10 FAQ page here, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10...

Good Luck

• desertcities
      5 years agoReport

A clean install is wiping out everything. However, Windows 10 will copy all of your files, photos, music and docs to a folder named: c:\Windows Old so you don't lose anything. Still, it's best to backup your stuff too. Check out the free cloud services like Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive.

If you accept it, Win 10 will install via the normal Windows Update service. Of course this won't happen until after Win 10 is released (scheduled for July 29). If you have any concerns, make an image backup of your hard drive before the update is installed (as if you shouldn't already be doing that as a part of your regular backup procedure).

• Kim4 years agoReport

whats an image backup? How'd u do that?

Alright, if you do a upgrade no it will carry over everything to windows 10 except window files which it will replace for windows 10, or if you do a clean install instead of upgrade it will delete your files. anyhow windows 10 is worth it and I know because im on a beta version right now.

All your programs and files will carry over to Windows 10, it won’t mess up your stuff. Right now all you can do is reserve the upgrade to 10. That means it will download automatically then you will see a message when it’s ready to install.

I’m upgrading because I always want to run the latest version of Windows for security and performance.

Do it.