How likely am I to be sued by Zurich auto insurance.?

I live in California, 7 months ago I lost control of my vehicle and totalled another car. my coverage for property damage was only 10000 but it was going to cover most of the payout that Zurich had to pay out to the driver. But later due to the driver claiming other damages ( things Zurich wouldn t cover rental car, storage fees etc. The car belonged to a business) a part of My insurance payout is now also going to be shared by the driver leaving more than a 10000 dollar deficit for zurich and it s original payout. Given that Zurich is out 10000 how likely are they to sue me? Are they an aggressive company? I only work part-time I m a student and make less than what can be considered level of poverty and have no assets. my claims adjuster has limited experience working with this company and does not know how aggressive they are in comparison with other insurance companies when it comes to collecting money.

• lucy
    Favorite Answer

Back in 2006, got laid off as a auto adjuster. I subsequently went into as an "independent contractor" as an adjuster for 5 more years, working for many companies. Zurich was one of those companies, that I worked on/off for about 2 years, when they were short of adjusters.

But Zurich, like any other insurance company like State Farm, Allstate are all the same, when they go after the at fault party. In most cases, they will run an asset check on you to see if you have anything to attach. Not sure about CA, if they can garnish wages or not. Usually if you have nothing, they won't waste the money to pursue, but, there are exceptions.

Most adjusters will fight tooth and nail to try and not pay out, till they can either negotiate or have the other insurance agree to accept the limits. In some cases, Zurich could agree to less and let the policyholder get what is owed to them in full (keep policyholder happy) and the balance to Zurich.

But, here is where your adjuster should be looking at, or questioning. Tow and storage is usually paid for by insurance. The rental, on the other hand, appears that the policyholder did not purchased, so paid out of pocket.

If, the $10,000 "was" going to be enough, but now that it has ballooned to another $10,000 means something does not make sense, or, under normal circumstances, even if there was not enough coverage, your insurance might dispute this.

When a vehicle is towed, then there are daily storage charges that insurance normally pays, (but) if the claimant or policyholder does not move to a body shop or home, (after a reasonable time) to STOP the daily charges, then they can be held liable, which is called mitigating the loss.

With rental, most insurance companies use Enterprise and the average cost they pay is $30 a day. Now since this guy had a business, may have needed a truck vs a car to use in his business which would cost more, but, still, not in all cases would your insurance pay, unless there is a valid reason.

Your adjuster should have a breakdown of the total costs that Zurich is claiming, plus what the guy has submitted. Ask your adjuster if what they have submitted is reasonable. If, you had enough to cover, would they agree to this amount or not?

Also, you should have received a letter from your letter suggesting you talk to a lawyer for legal advice. Get a copy of the total damages and bring with you. Many lawyers will give you 1 free consult in person.

good luck

You forgot to say who Zurich is in this equation. Are they your insurer, or do they insure the other guy? That matters.

If they're your insurer, they're not suing you for anything. They'll pay out up to the maximum amount of coverage you have, and that's it that's all. The other guy (or his insurer if he claims under his policy) might sue you for the rest, but Zurich won't. Your insurance policy only pays up to the maximum limit of coverage you purchased, and then stops.

If Zurich is the other guy's insurer and he's claiming under his policy, they'll definitely come after you. Like any other insurance company, they have a whole subrogation department (look up the definition) that does exactly that every day.

You're personally responsible for any loss or damage that isn't covered by your policy. They don't care that you're not making a lot of money, because that's not their problem. When you buy less insurance coverage than you need (how much you need depends on what damage is done), you're saying "I'll cover that myself if it happens" and legally accepting that risk. You can't un-accept that risk after it happens.

In cases like yours, the court will usually agree to a payment plan. They know you can't come up with all the money right now, and indentured slavery isn't an option anymore, so they'll take a piece of your earnings every payday until it's paid off completely. If the money is owed to an insurance company, remember that they get really nasty if you start missing payments.

I recommend one to try this website where onel can compare quotes from different companies: http://COVERAGEFINDER.NET/index.html?src=2YAhimnqW...

RE :How likely am I to be sued by Zurich auto insurance.?

Follow 7 answers

I doubt Zurich actually paid out more than your 10,000 limit. So, if the other driver wants additional compensation, they would have to sue you directly because Zurich won't pay more.

Having a low limit on your insurance is not very smart in these days of million dollar damage and injury claims.

Zurich won't sue you. All they are obligated to pay is $10,000 (the limit of your policy, apparently). The other driver's insurance company can and should sue you because you were underinsured.

• Beilul

I recommend you to try this internet site where onel can get rates from the best companies: http://INSURECOMPAREQUOTES.US/index.html?src=5YAcV...

Follow 8 answers

Source(s): I recommend you to try this internet site where onel can get rates from the best companies: http://INSURECOMPAREQUOTES.US/index.html?src=5YAcV...
  • ?

No matter what anyone says here it will not matter. No one can see the future. However, due to your bad driving skills and inadequate auto insurance coverage you have exposed yourself to legal claims against future earnings. Just wait.

• TedEx

Be assured, they will be very aggressive. The don;t give a damn that you are a college student with very little income. they will want their money.

They paid out over 20000