With the Charleston Church shooting being being racially motivated, how do you feel about government buildings flying the confederate flag?

Favorite Answer

There are multiple different kinds of "Confederate Flag."

The one you're referring to, which is the one that most Americans think of when they hear "Confederate Flag," was originally the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. It is NOT to be called the "Stars and Bars" as many think, and it was only to be used on the field of battle during a time of war.

Since the Confederacy is a defunct government and the states have been re-instituted as member states of the United States of America, we are legally no longer at war. Their armed forces no longer exist and those states' militias as they exist today are NOT successors of the Confederate armies. So, yes, I personally disagree with those governments flying any variant of the Confederate battle flag.

History generally does not celebrate losers of a conflict, especially an internecine one.

• Cornelius
      5 years agoReport

finally an answer based in sound logic with actual facts

I feel it gives people the wrong idea that it's okay to represent that. It represents the apartheid against African Americans and it sets the mentality that they are rebel. When in actuality if all of the racially motivated hate crimes where the suspect or criminal felt the flag helped give them an identity and in a way inspired them to carry out these acts, it looks terrible having it flown close to the American flag on the property of a government building that is supposed to have everyone's best interest at heart. Doesn't it look bad that a flag that is offensive to citizens of that state and age rican Americans in general is being flown despite the feelings towards it.

In no city, state, or federal building anywhere in the US should the Confederate battle flag be flown.

It is a symbol of treason and sedition to the United States.

On no state issued license plates should the Confederate battle flag be a part of for the same reason.

If some private homeowner wants to fly it over their house, that is their right.

• Logan

The confederate flag isn't a racist symbol. It's just a southern, homegrown sort of thing. If you haven't grown up here, you wouldn't get it. I know plenty of guys at my school who aren't white and wear confederate t shirts.

If that flag makes you want to go shoot up an innocent church, it's not the flag that's the problem, it's your mind. Feel me?

I've lived in SC all my life and never have I once met a person who's been offended by the confederate flag.

• Cornelius
      5 years agoReport

funny i'm a southerner too, even further south than sc, from louisiana. i have met plenty of people offended by the confederate flag. it is not a "homegrown thing", it is the flag flown by an army of traitors fighting for the right of rich landowners to own slaves. im also white btw.

The Confederate Flag is part of Southern history. Has nothing to do with race/slavery.

If Northerners don't agree, then stay up North and stop moving down here......

• Brittany4 years agoReport

For it not to be "racist" it sure draws in a lot of racists. What is their excuse then. And if it's southern heritage and not hate why do northerners fly it as well?

I don't know of any government buildings doing that. In fact I think you're a ******* liar since government doesn't even sponsor that flag

• Cornelius
      5 years agoReport

they do sponsor that flag tardo. your lack of effort to perform research before answering speaks volumes about where you are coming from, and who you are

how do you feel about it flying the american flag ?

after all the us flag flew over slavery for 74 years

the battle flag only flew over slavery for 3 years

• Cornelius
      5 years agoReport

granted one of those flags was flown by the traitorous army fighting for the right to own slaves and the other was flown by the army fighting for emancipation, and given the circumstances and who won the war, and the current state of affairs i would venture to say I would side with the union

I never understood the losers wanting to brag about losing.