I've never shot a gun before in my life except for BB guns. Should the first gun I shoot be a 1911 .45 ACP?

I'm 15 years old, 5' 8", 130 LBS, and I'm not strong. Do you guys think I could handle the recoil?

Favorite Answer

The first gun you should shoot should be a .22 rifle which feels like shooting a pellet gun since it basically has no free recoil, a 22 handgun has little free recoil. A 45 ACP doesn't recoil very hard, about 2x as much as a 9mm but less than a .357 mag. It doesn't hurt, (may feel just a slight tingle, but it like a push and not snappy as say a 40 S&W). The 1911 isn't a gun to fear shooting, but a .22 is recommended so you can focus on developing your marksmanship and not flinch from anticipating the recoil. If that is the only gun you'll have access to then sure try it out, my cousin at 12 had no problem shooting my XDm 45.

I fired a .38 Special as my first gun when I was 8 just fine. I now own a 1911 .45 and I really can't tell a difference in recoil. I can rapid fire it just fine, and still have my wrist. Id recommend shooting something a tad smaller, .22 to start, maybe move up to a 9mm and then .45. It all depends on your level of comfortability.

• Mr.357

My youngest son did not have a problem with my Springfield XD 45 when he was 12 years old. He could even shoot it one handed. Are you tougher than a 12 year old? He did shoot one round of .357 Mag when he was 8 years old. it was a bit much for him. He enjoyed my .38 Special, though.

• Phil

Who is your instructor? At 15 years old you cant posses a handgun on your own so you have to have someone over 21 training you. And if they are starting you off with a 45, then that person needs to go back and re-train as well.

If I were you I'd start with a 1911-22 from sig, colt, gsg, or browning.

As long as you have a proper instructor go ahead

Stay safe follow the rules

PS: Lack of confidence is a enemy to your self esteem

You should have no problem if you get proper instruction on grip and stance.

...and you need to beef up a little, put about 30 lbs of muscle on your bones...just in general, I mean.

im sure you can handle it, but itll cause bad habits

If you want a flinch, go for it!