What countries allow pilots to fly taking antipsychotics precribed by a psychiatrist?

Best Answer

Depends on what you mean by "pilot." There's a light sport license for very small single engine aircraft (barely bigger than an ultralight) that you can get without a medical exam. You'll be limited to non-commercial, daylight VFR flying only.

As the "pros" have said, if you're on antipsychotics, you can give up on any dream of being an airline pilot.

• Cliff4 years agoReport

Just a little curious, after that Germanwings incident, I have no intention or hope of becoming and airline pilot I know, but knowing I'll never be able to get a private pilots licence "sucks"

Just curious, all I wanted to get is a private pilots licence, I pretty much gave up hope when that idiot with Germanwings crashed that plane and killed 150 people, I just think it's unfair to completely judge all people on psychiatric medication when it comes to a third class medical, I have been emotionally stable for years for example, I mean if you don't treat all Muslims like terrorist because of 9-11 (which would be unfair) why judge people on meds who just want a private pilots licence...

• Robert
      4 years agoReport

If a nut wanted to go on a murder-suicide spree, a Glock would be far more dangerous than a Cessna 150, and it's a lot easier to get a firearm than it is a general aviation pilot's license. Of course, there's no second amendment for aircraft!

If you are an airline pilot, you are unlikely to be a patient of a psychiatrist...

Of course except a "certain German co-pilot" who did it in complete privacy -

With any airline, you would have been immediately "grounded" -

It is time for psychiatrists who have pilots among their patients to "pull the plug" -

Despite confidentiality for their patients -

Many simple "pain killers" are marked "do not operate machinery when taking this medication" -

That psychiatrist in Germany shared responsibility for having not reported him to the LBA -

Source(s): Retired airline pilot - Pan American 1968-1991 - Cargolux 1992 - Aerolíneas Argentinas 1993-2008 -
    • Cliff4 years agoReport

Thanks for your imput..i'm not talking about being an airline pilot, not anymore, but if I can never even get a third class medical guess I'll never be able to obtain a pilots licence-i got NO INTENTION OF KILLING other people or myself.

Anti Psychotics, no country at all!

Some countries allow mild anti-depressives, subject to more regular medical assessments and on a short term basis.

• Fox

Few if any....and after the germanair incident DEFINITELY ZERO!

Airlines want mentally stable people behind the controls, and that wackjob co-pilot was only allowed to fly because he kept it secret because he knew he would be banned from flying if anyone knew.

None. Neurological disorders are among the worst possible medical conditions to have in the aviation world.

• JetDoc

NONE of them.

none. exactly as it should be.

• Cliff4 years agoReport

Why judge all people on psychiatric medication when it comes to a third class medical, I have been emotionally stable for years for example, I mean if you don't treat all Muslims like terrorist because of 9-11 (which would be unfair) why judge people on meds who just want a private pilots licence..