What countries allow pilots to fly taking antipsychotics precribed by a psychiatrist?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago
    Best Answer

Depends on what you mean by "pilot." There's a light sport license for very small single engine aircraft (barely bigger than an ultralight) that you can get without a medical exam. You'll be limited to non-commercial, daylight VFR flying only.

As the "pros" have said, if you're on antipsychotics, you can give up on any dream of being an airline pilot.

• Cliff4 years agoReport

Just a little curious, after that Germanwings incident, I have no intention or hope of becoming and airline pilot I know, but knowing I'll never be able to get a private pilots licence "sucks"

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Just curious, all I wanted to get is a private pilots licence, I pretty much gave up hope when that idiot with Germanwings crashed that plane and killed 150 people, I just think it's unfair to completely judge all people on psychiatric medication when it comes to a third class medical, I have been emotionally stable for years for example, I mean if you don't treat all Muslims like terrorist because of 9-11 (which would be unfair) why judge people on meds who just want a private pilots licence...

• Robert
      Lv 5
      4 years agoReport

If a nut wanted to go on a murder-suicide spree, a Glock would be far more dangerous than a Cessna 150, and it's a lot easier to get a firearm than it is a general aviation pilot's license. Of course, there's no second amendment for aircraft!

• 4 years ago

If you are an airline pilot, you are unlikely to be a patient of a psychiatrist...

Of course except a "certain German co-pilot" who did it in complete privacy -

With any airline, you would have been immediately "grounded" -

It is time for psychiatrists who have pilots among their patients to "pull the plug" -

Despite confidentiality for their patients -

Many simple "pain killers" are marked "do not operate machinery when taking this medication" -

That psychiatrist in Germany shared responsibility for having not reported him to the LBA -

Source(s): Retired airline pilot - Pan American 1968-1991 - Cargolux 1992 - Aerolíneas Argentinas 1993-2008 -
    • Cliff4 years agoReport

Thanks for your imput..i'm not talking about being an airline pilot, not anymore, but if I can never even get a third class medical guess I'll never be able to obtain a pilots licence-i got NO INTENTION OF KILLING other people or myself.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Anti Psychotics, no country at all!

Some countries allow mild anti-depressives, subject to more regular medical assessments and on a short term basis.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Fox
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Few if any....and after the germanair incident DEFINITELY ZERO!

Airlines want mentally stable people behind the controls, and that wackjob co-pilot was only allowed to fly because he kept it secret because he knew he would be banned from flying if anyone knew.

• 4 years ago

None. Neurological disorders are among the worst possible medical conditions to have in the aviation world.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

NONE of them.

• 4 years ago

none. exactly as it should be.

• Cliff4 years agoReport

Why judge all people on psychiatric medication when it comes to a third class medical, I have been emotionally stable for years for example, I mean if you don't treat all Muslims like terrorist because of 9-11 (which would be unfair) why judge people on meds who just want a private pilots licence..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.