Anonymous

Is Mexico a western country?

If it isn't, what is it?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Mexico is a primarily Christian(Catholic) nation, with Spanish(Indo-European) as an official language. It's people have heavy Spanish heritage, as well as millions of non Spanish European descended people.

Mexican culture is also heavily European influenced, such as customs and way of living. Mexican pastries are very French influenced, there is bullfighting, they have "siesta" etc.

Development wise, it's not as developed as other western nations, but nonetheless has a high HDI, and it even more developed than some European nations.

So yes, Mexico is "western".

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

The Native influence in Mexico shouldn't be disregarded, however, Mexico does indeed fit the definition of a Western country:

Western world: Countries predominately influenced by Greek, Roman and Christian influences and/or shaped by strong Western European immigration and settlement.

Mexico initially became "Westernized" through colonialism and that influence continued through interactions with the U.S. and the rest of the Western world.

@Alex

You may personally equate Western with White, however, that is not the actual definition. (Although, a majority of Mexicans are mixed with European ancestry anyway).

"I would consider Mexico as part of the Latin American realm of the world."

Those two terms are not mutually exclusive as Western does not specifically refer to a geographic region:

"The term originally had a literal geographic meaning. It contrasted Europe with the linked cultures and civilizations of the Middle East and North Africa, South Asia, Southeast Asia and the remote Far East, which early-modern Europeans saw as the East. Today this has little geographic relevance since the concept of the West has been *expanded to include the former European colonies in the Americas*, Australia, and New Zealand."

@Anon

You don't know the definition of third world if you think Mexico fits that description. A third world is where a large percentage of the population struggles to have access to water, food and electricity. That's not Mexico.

Attachment image
  • Alex
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

I don't know. There isn't an exact definition for what a country in the Western World is.

However, looking at maps on Google of the Western World, some include Mexico and the rest of Latin America as "Western World," while some don't. Also, some include South Africa and some don't.

To me, I wouldn't count Mexico as a Western country. To me, Western countries are the developed countries where white people are a majority. So that would be Western European countries, including Greece and Italy, as well as the USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

I would consider Mexico as part of the Latin American realm of the world.

But here is another viewpoint where Latin America is included, as well as South Africa.

Attachment image
  • Daniel
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

It is comprised of 85% of western minded thinking people that descend from Europe the same political and spiritual ideas and mannerisms especially from the colonial period to be exact Example the Catholicism practiced by the Mexican Amerindians is far different from the average non Indian Mexican s totally different interpretation of the rites and meanings they see those Catholic idols as still their old gods but disguised also their outlook on the natural world is different that's the difference between western and indigenous Amerindian culture

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Nope. Only White countries are Western countries.

• Mercy
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

NO BUT IT CERTAINLY IS A REAL THIRLD WORLD COUNTRY

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.