bad wheel hub assembly on 1997 GMC Sierra?

So I have a 1997 GMC Sierra 1500. I'm having an issue.

Whenever I'm backing up to the right at any speed, or when I'm turning left above 20 or so mph I'm hearing what sounds like either a metallic clanking or scraping that is very light in its tone, and subtle, coming from the front end drivers side. The sound of the noise comes systematically as the front wheel spins while moving. Nobody on the passenger side ever hears it. But it only comes about in the instances mentioned above. Everybody I know is saying either a wheel hub assembly or brake part that went screwy. I haven't torn it apart yet, but I did put it on a Jack to test the wheels for play. Passenger side has no play, however the driver side does, but only slight side to side play, no vertical play. I also rotated the wheels while it was on the jack. Passenger side is silent, but when I spin the drivers side I can hear the metallic sorta scraping noise ever so slightly. No change in handling of the vehicle. It needs an alignment, has since I got it. But it pulls to the right rather than the left. Again, always has. I feel no vibration while driving, and hear nothing at speed.

The noise does not at all sound sinister, but it is a good indicator something is wrong.

So, wheel hub assembly? Brakes? I need to know before I send it to a mechanic. Brakes or a wheel hub assembly I can do on my own. I have checked, no none of my control arms are bent.

If it's a 4x4 there is nothing to tighten and you said there was no movement so don't go there anyway. Your problem is very simple, it's the sheet metal backing plate rubbing slightly on the rotor or your brake pads are worn to the point where the squealer tabs are just starting to hit.

Have the brakes checked and ask the shop to check if the backing plates got bent against the rotors by a rock or something.

jack the car up and hold the wheel try and see if it wobbles (ignoring the steering) if it wobbles you need a bearing spin the wheel if you hear a grinding like noise you need a new bearing if you do the bearing buy a new hub which a hub assembly normally is a new hub/bearing etc

• ?

Check the bearings and tighten the hub nut until there is no play.