2000 Ford Escort 2.0L Cooling fan never seems to be on. Temp gauge sits normally, doesn't overheat. But fan never seems to be on?

Update: Whenever I've opened the hood or something to do work on it, and I let it run even when the engine is hot. The radiator cooling fan never seems to be on. I've never noticed the temperature gauge in the dash go any higher then normal (a little under half way) so i don't know for sure or not if the fan... show more Whenever I've opened the hood or something to do work on it, and I let it run even when the engine is hot. The radiator cooling fan never seems to be on. I've never noticed the temperature gauge in the dash go any higher then normal (a little under half way) so i don't know for sure or not if the fan works. I've just never seen it spin, but then wouldn't the car overheat?
Just weird. Any thoughts would be very appreciated!
Thank you!