Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 5 years ago

Is an SSD really worth it?

People keep telling me to get an SSD, 256GB at $100 doesn't sound like a bad deal. The problem is that games are easily reaching sizes in excess of 30-60GB after installation. Then the SSD seems to go out the window. Why wouldn't I get an SSHD at 1TB or more? It won't be that much slower in my opinion and the space is totally worth it.

• Herfot

I think it is. Games just load so quickly with one. Of course I only store a small number of games on my computer at a time. Usually once I play a game, I play it until I beat it then never play it again so I uninstall it. The games which stay installed are there because I haven't beaten them yet, lost interest but tell myself I will turn on again to beat and get my moneys worth, are one of the very few I like to screw around with occasionally or just haven't gotten around to removing as I don't need the space.

Unless you own one. You just don't realize how vastly different the computing experience is with an SSD. My only uses for a Hard drive now is data backup and media storage. Since an SSD wouldn't make a difference there.

Although I spent the extra money for a 512GB so space isn't much of an issue. Based on today's prices I'd buy a 1TB. When I got the 512GB it was in that price range. I'd strongly suggest getting a 512 at the very least. In a month or two you won't miss that small amount of money but you will regret not splurging for a more appropriate capacity. Also get a Samsung 850 they are really top notch for the SATA III interface.

• Thomas

Hybrid drives perform well but don't approach what a real SSD can do, they end up closer to a fast mechanical drive.

With Steam it's fairly easy to install games to different places, so you can put the real space-hogs on a mechanical drive while the operating system and most programs go on an SSD.

I'd buy an SSD for my operating system and keep my games etc. on a HDD.

A SSD is NOT intended to be used to store games etc. They are intended to be used to store Windows OS & startup files for loading speed. Games & apps. go on a regular hard disk.

• ?

an sshd is no where the speed of an ssd, personally I would just go with a wd black and just make sure u keep your pc free of junk

SSHD have a little 8gb ssd in it. So go for it if you want.