How many people still think Electric cars is the future?

Electric cars are NOT the future which is why there are not a lot of companies building on them bar Tesla. Hydrogen fueling is the future yet why is the media misinforming the public about electric vehicles. Whilst they are great, they will never have the long range that ICE and Hydrogen fuel provide. They also are very expensive to build.

Do any of you still think electric cars are the future?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think they're really gonna replace gas/ diesel etc. cars. They're just gonna be in another type of category of cars. People will always have a things for gas/ diesel powered cars. I'm not saying that they're going to die off either, because they most certainly will not. I'm not too much of a fan of electric cars though, although the Tesla does seem like a type of electric car I'd buy (if I had the money.)

Source(s): gearhead, if that matters
    • One thing hydrogen cars give that electric does=power. Therefore, they can replace the ICE of a beloved Ferrari California with a H fuel cell and save the super car, something electric cars can only dream of. Petrol head here also!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jas B
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Once upon a time it was believed that we could never build an aeroplane which could carry hundreds of people and fly for fourteen hours without refuelling, or fly at supersonic speeds, or take of vertically.

However through scientist and engineers working together, spending money on research and development planes that can do these things were developed.

A few years ago and even today we have those who rubbish the idea of a country producing all of it's electricity needs from alternative renewable energy. Today 18 countries are producing 90% or more of their electricity needs from renewable sources.

Of course with any new science you have to spend a lot of money on research and development, new technology costs money and until a product is widely used, it is expensive to produce.

Anyone in industry will tell you that the cost of new technology falls as more products are sold. And with any new industry it improves and perfects it's products as this happens.

What the electric car of the future will look like and what distances they can travel in the future I do not know. But I do know that in the years after the first motor cars appeared they bore no resemblance in speed and efficiency to cars today.

They advanced to the machines they are today by huge investments in their technology and people not listening to the likes of you saying they were not viable.

• I could not agree more. Too many assume that technological babies are all they will ever be and can't imagine that they will never grow into anything that they could be relate to as an adult.

• 5 years ago

You prefer hydrogen vehicle technology, but even those in the field believe that hydrogen is a bridge technology at best. A "hydrogen car" is actually a hydrogen fuel cell electric car. Trying to burn hydrogen in an internal combustion engine is far too inefficient and would continue to produce NOx pollution. Presently hydrogen fuel cell electric cars can be about 40% efficient, a little less than half the efficiency of an electric car and a little better than a diesel engine. Most hydrogen comes from fossil fuels (96%) So a hydrogen car is really another form of a fossil fuel car, but because of the inefficiency of changing the fuel from one form to another it the over all process would be less efficient and produce more pollutants than using the original fossil fuel in a car.

Hydrogen tends to leak from most containers and hydrogen leaks that catch fire are difficult to see or feel. But I hope our transportation future in the next 100 years has more diversity than the last 100 years regardless of which technologies are adopted.

• The hydrogen fuel is not likely to come from fossil fuels, but from rooftop solar, just like an electric car's power will. The hydrogen version will be much less efficient.

• Kano
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Neither electric or hydrogen is a fuel, they are a method for transferring energy, electric is generated in powerstations, Hydrogen is manufactured also.

The top new diesel engines have an efficiency of around 35% (some more) which is similar to a modern power station, not counting for the losses in transmission, and battery charging, and battery performance.

Electric cars from start to finish are inefficient, Hydrogen pressurized to 10.000psi (as will have to done for vehicles to contain sufficient reserves) is dangerous, it is like sitting on a bomb.

• The bench efficiency for an internal combustion engine can reach 40%. The real world efficiency is closer to 15% to 20% after considering drive train losses and stop and go traffic. Electric vehicles have an efficiency (real world) of 80% to 95%.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

To a certain degree electric cars will be the future, BUT aslong as we use conventional power plants to make electricity, I don't think the environment will benefit from it, which is(as I believe) the main reason electric vehicles is so hyped at the moment. If we get more "clean" electricity I think electric vehicles will become much more popular.

• 5 years ago

In my opinion, Electric car is the best option. As all the reserved energy resources are getting extinct or slowly are getting used up. Every country is searching the best alternatives to sustain in future. So electricity can be the best option as it is a renewal source of energy.Thus, to go green and to save our beautiful earth, electric car is the future.

• 5 years ago

Basic principle - Transportation takes energy. The system that has the highest energy density now, wins now.

Basic principle - Transportation takes convenience. The system that is the most convenient now, wins now.

Historical trend - Battery technology doubles energy storage density about once per decade.

The reason trucks use diesel fuel now is it stores more energy per gallon. The reason cars use gasoline now it is more convenient.

Check the historical trends carefully - Once batteries are available that let a car go 400 miles on a charge that becomes as convenient as gasoline.

The historical trend says that happens somewhere about 2020-2025. So for cars batteries will be the future pretty soon. The historical trend says batteries beat diesel fuel for trucks about 10 years later.

So batteries are the future but they are not the present.

• 5 years ago

someday in the future most of the car in the future will be electric cars, because petroleum need to be save at some point, starting right now will make the world will be a better place for next generation of human being.

• 5 years ago

How many people think electric cars is the future - As cars is plural I assume you wanted to know if they ARE not IS the future The answer is 5281237

• "Electric cars" is a singular idea (noun). Shut up and learn the nuances of English before u think yourself a grammar teacher.

• 5 years ago

We already have electric cars. So, the present is already the future that you are asking about. Electric cars will become more prevalent in the future. They will never be the norm, like gasoline cars, but they will be more prevalent.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.