darl asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 5 years ago

how to build credit at 19 when I cannot even get a back account or credit card?

Hey so I'm 19 yrs old and I went to get a bank account and they told me I could not get one because my name was on my brothers account when I was 13 and he nearly went bankrupt...anyway they said the people who regulate who they (bank) can accept for accounts would not approve me and gave me info to contact them...I looked then up and the only way to contact them is through mail they don't even have a phone number.. so I've sent 3 separate letters and it's been a year now and no reply...I have applied for multiple cards and bank/credit union accounts to hear the same thing I need to get my credit going... any help is much appreciated Thankyou.

Favorite Answer

do you mean chex systems?

they do have phone number

Contact Chex Systems, Inc.

Mail: Chex Systems, Inc.

Attn: Consumer Relations

7805 Hudson Road, Suite 100

Woodbury, MN 55125

Fax: 602.659.2197

Telephone: 800.428.9623

The correspondence you receive from ChexSystems will include a toll-free telephone number that provides an option to speak with a Consumer Relations representative.

First, you stop applying. You cannot build credit by applying for multiple cards when you are only 19. To build credit, you need a long record of not applying too much. In most cases, you need to be 21 or older. Also, every time you apply, you hurt you chances of getting a card in the future. And the more you apply, the less credit you will build.

You build credit by not applying. Each time you apply, it takes a whole year of not applying, not even once, just to build back the credit that you have lost by applying.

Right now, you do nothing. This is very important. You do not apply again, not even once, until you turn 21. When you turn 21, you apply only one time, for only one card. You do not apply for multiple cards, ever.