Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 years ago

Fleas and ticks??

I went one month on some cheaper generic flea meds "compare to frontline"(Stupid me I know) and we've been out in the woods a lot. Now he's itching and I found TWO little dog ticks on him last night while brushing him! Can I go ahead and put the frontline on him 6 days before I'm supposed to?? Or just I just wait it out and give him a vinegar bath rinse in the mean time?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

No vinegar rinse. The issue with the "compare to Frontline" is that while the main ingredient has come off patent and is now generic, all the other ingredients are different. This means that all the ingredients that actually carry the product over the pet's skin may not actually get it into the oil glands where it stays. If you use vinegar rinse, you will no doubt strip oils and make it impossible for even the Frontline to get there, either. Go ahead and apply the Frontline ---it won't hurt your dog. An alternative would be to see your vet and pick up Nexgard tomorrow. It kills fleas and ticks for 30 days, and is a chewable tablet that works! In general with flea/tick stuff, you get what you pay for. Your vet should have coupons and rebates for Frontline and Nexgard ---we do. Or look online for them. Merial is the manufacturer of both products. vet tech

Frontline has never been great for killing ticks. Switch to a better product. I use K9Advantixll. I too, am in the woods alot with my dogs and I don't have a flea problem, but have concerns with ticks, which are plentiful and the diseases, besides Lyme, they can transmit.

• J C

Vinegar does nothing more than alter the pH of your dog's skin, and nothing at all for fleas or ticks. I am guessing you have removed the ticks! Yes, you can apply the Frontline Plus early - not the best but it's still safe to use. Yeah - "compare to Frontline" - great advertising, if it actually worked.

• Lizzie

You should probably wait. But anyway, you should know that Frontline doesn't work at all in most places anymore. The better, newer products for fleas and ticks are Nexguard and Bravecto. You get them from your vet.

I would wash the dog & wait for the body oils to return & then apply the poison. The body oils is what spreads the poison to all parts of the body. If you apply just after a bath there are no oils to carry it where it needs to go & will just sit in that one spot until the body oils return.

Ticks will have to get on your dog before the poison kills them, so you will be picking up ticks every time you go into the woods. Can't help it, that's just the way it works.

Frontline hasn't worked in years ask your vet to recommend something else. Dogs should not be bathed unless vet recommended.

• Ocimom

Yes but Frontline is not as effective any more. Revolution or Advantage are much better.

• paul

yup sure