Why do I have Windows updates literally everyday?

Okay, so. I'm running on Windows 8.1, 64 bit. I probably don't have a virus, and my computer has been fine up until a few weeks ago. I haven't done anything different that I know of to cause this.

Anyway, my computer runs at a snail-like pace. The first time it started, I figured I'd reset my PC. I noticed it had an option of "update and restart" rather than regular ol' restart. I chalked the pace up to not having the proper updates. Once updates were finished, my PC ran like new. Next day, however, same thing. Update and restart. I've done this every day, sometimes more than once, for weeks now.

Quite fed up with just dealing with it. Because it seems every day there are more updates (up to 56 now where as it started at 7). I never get a notification for updates. And nothing seems to change afterward except for the speed of my computer, obviously.

Does ANYONE have some sort of solution?

Favorite Answer

Go to start, run type in

services.msc

hit enter on keyboard

Allow the services screen to come up.

Look for Windows Update or something similar on the list. Right click it to stop the service and do the same to disable it.

Reboot and now you should no longer get automated Windows updates slowing you down.

You can do the same with other services there to release system resources and boost performance but don't touch anything you don't understand.

I turn off updates, print spooler, remote access and things like that but enable it when I need it from the same location.

You can also turn off the GPS feature within control panel in Windows 8

• Seasil5 years agoReport

Wow. Thank you so much!

You NEED to keep Windows Update turned on, especially if you are running Windows Defender. The daily (or hourly if there is a panic on the Internet somewhere) virus updates are sent by Windows Update.

Go to Windows Update (at the start screen, just type "Windows Update"). Install all updates. Reboot. Repeat.

You "think" it does not have a virus? Restarting does NOT remove infections. Why do you not have a good fully updated active anti-virus?

• Seasil5 years agoReport

I did have Norton when I first got it. It expired. Recently got it again, and ironically my PC started running slow afterward. Not to say that they are related in any way.
      And I know it doesn't remove them. I didn't even say that.