I m planning on converting my 01 Mustang into an EV?

Would anyone know how?

Where to find the parts?

And happen to know where I could find a photo or some kind of blueprint of the mustang so I know where exactly I want to place the batteries?

Also I m in West TX so EV s and all the parts seem to be even more scarce than honey in a wasp s nest... Online orders that I could trust would be amazing...

Even better would be a cheap reliable way to just build all the parts if possible???

I just found out that the transmission is ****, and so is the engine, so it's just a body... Anyone know if that would be worth trying to build my own car from scratch or just buying an electric car...

Btw I dislike the idea of using gasoline, or anything that'll harm the earth that is why I wanted to convert, but if there is no way to drive around without harming the earth then I have no reason to try to tinker with the vehicle other than for resale

Best Answer

Google "EV Conversion". On second thought, I'll do it for you: https://www.google.com/search?q=EV+conversion

Also read this first, so you don't miss it in the Google list: http://gas2.org/2014/12/22/10-things-to-consider-b...

I don't particularly recommend that car for a conversion. If it's still a runner, sell it and get something more appropriate for a conversion. My opinion is that it's too heavy, battery placement won't be optimal, you've go to deal with the power steering (sucks energy), and simply working on it is going to be awkward.

One problem you're going to have out there in West Texas is range. Owner-built EV conversions don't have a lot of range, so don't expect to commute between Odessa and Lubbock. You'd be lucky to do the Midland-Odessa loop if you aren't prepared to shell out a lot of dough for cutting-edge gear. Even a $10 grand investment doesn't buy a lot of range. If you're doing it for fun & experience, that's one thing, but if you think you're going to save a ton of money on gas, you'll be spending several years worth of fill-ups just to get a basic EV on the road. I'd seriously consider building a hybrid EV, not pure electric, and maybe incorporate solar auxiliary charging and regenerative braking.

• After your update, I say just buy an electric car. An old Prius that still has battery life is hard to beat.

• Rob

Cheap k? And electrical motor vehicle do not go together .

If you own a salvage yard and spend some months reading and learning about the process you may come out 'ahead c'.

Library and internet can help you learn how not to get burned.

Source(s): Mechanic