Car battery died twice within a month; & Today my charger started smoking. Should I be worried about the car & our safety or No??

Our Car battery died twice in one month. Today, we were driving, and the car charger was plugged in w/my moms phone, and I plugged in my iPhone to that with a usb chord using a port that was in the car charger. Anyway, we were driving and it started smoking! it BURNED itself on part of it. It took me a while before I noticed it. It this a serious sign that the car is short circuiting? Could we be at risk of fire while riding? Is the battery dying, plus the smoking charger, and a risk of fire in the car connected?? I just want to see if we have a safety issue, or am I making a big deal out of nothing? I'm kinda worried. Thanks.

• Am0s
    Favorite Answer

The phone charger for your car got too hot, was pulling too much power and overheated, causing it to melt/burn. You should never leave things plugged in when you leave the car. The power point/cigarette lighter is designed to withstand some heat, in order to heat the coil in the lighter attachment. Do not use that phone charger again, it is unsafe and now garbage.

The battery is likely pulling electric while the car is not running, which is causing your battery to drain, and require assistance to start the car. You may have left a GPS or other device plugged in, which caused the battery to drain. I would simply suggest that you stop leaving things plugged in when you leave the vehicle and if the problem persists, you may want to have someone look at the vehicle to find what else my be connected and draining the battery. Once it is found and removed, your problem will go away. If the battery continues to experience problems, after the devices are all unplugged, you will want to replace the battery.

You can get a portable jump start device from different auto parts stores. Chargers are meant to be overnight long-time chargers. They do a better job fully charging your battery though, than just a jump start. Even the jumpstart packs will tell you that if your battery dies and you need to use it, you should charge your battery on a battery charger. A low amp slow charge is the best way to fully charge your battery and prevent the need for a jump.

Yes you have a problem. Replace your battery and get the charging system checked out by a good auto electrician.

Hi so the battery is dead and needs to be replaced so dead it killed the battery charger. so you need a new battery and by the sounds of it a new alternator as well. so time to be finding the money to get it repaired. as you fail to mention it's age and make and model we can only guess it has become a money pit.

I would have the charging system checked. Your battery may be ok but not charging so don't replace it before everything is checked.