Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 6 years ago

How to wing your foot?

I am having trouble on how to get a winged foot in ballet. Can you show me any links on how to do it or explain how.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Zhops
    Lv 6
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Anonymous" is correct in that this is for advanced dancers. Let me give you a little anatomy lesson. Look at your ankle. You will notice a protruding bone on the inside of your ankle and another one on the outside. Which one is higher? And what does that mean regarding the direction ("pigeon-toed" or "duck-footed") you foot turns more easily? If you've been sitting there wiggling your foot around you have discovered that it moves more easily to the inside. This is called "sickling" and is anathema in ballet, not to mention downright dangerous. "Winging" is when you point your foot in a neutral position, then move it toward the outside. Whether or not you can do this depends a lot on your skeleton-- some dancers have to relax the point a bit in order to wing their feet, which means they have to be very careful about what position they are in to the audience. For example a winged foot gives a lovely lift to an arabesque when seen in profile, but the cheating becomes evident when this same arabesque rotates in a promenade and the audience sees the slightly flexed ankle of a dancer who must relax the point. This is one reason why winging is left for advanced dancers (other than that younger dancers must focus on developing their ankles to work in the neutral position)-- it takes experience to know when to wing, how much and when not to.

Source(s): Retired professional ballet dancer
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Winging your foot is only for advanced dancers. If you have to ask how, you are not advanced enough. Not all dancers can or should wing their foot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.