Why do Democrats say that the rich don't pay their fair share of taxes?

Update:

The top 1% pays 37% of all taxes according to the IRS:

https://www.aei.org/publication/irs-data-the-top-1...

115 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Best Answer

Because as a rule, democrats aren't too bright. They think that someone paying a million dollars a year isn't paying their fair compared to someone who pays nothing and gets money back.

How can you argue with that kind of logic? Obviously, using logic, you can't. They think taxes shouldn't be based on fairness, but based on "need" and then they call it "fair"!

• Gerald, The bottom 25% do not pay federal income taxes. You are correct,of the top 10%, most pay dividends taxes.

• 5 years ago

@mollsI understand your point but the numbers are a little skewed.. Google and Apple provide the service (they worked hard to create also) that enables him to make money off the product he created. He is paying for their distribution capabilities.. ie: I make some money tutoring through wyzant (they take 30% off the top but those are students I would have no access to without them) so take that part out of the math. im guessing between NY and NYC he is probably paying between 2-7% in local taxes

moving almost anywhere away from NYC( one of the most expensive places to live) when in a web based industry is smart in itself even if not counting in the sub 10% difference in taxes.

so if he made $100 dollars 35 comes off the top to pay for distribution (vs $0 dollars without Apple or Google) so thats $65 (what he really earned) after say to be over the top 39% in taxes that leaves him 39 dollars which is about 60% of what he actually earned. You cannot count gross sales as income as every firm has costs that reduce the income before taxes..

what apps are they? he sounds like he is talented as hell to be in the top ten.

as far as the original question goes.. they say that because wealthier individuals have access to accountants and lawyers to create shelters and trusts and other (legal) tax avoidance strategies that middle and lower class people do not. This is partially because more of the middle and lower class income is dedicated to basic needs vs discretionary. If I am effectively paying 25-30% why should someone who makes infinitely more than I do pay a lower %? That's why there is a groundswell (although futile) movement toward a flat tax everyone pays the same % no loopholes

• 5 years ago

They aren’t saying the rich don’t pay their fair share. It’s a bit more complicated than that.

Honestly, I am for taxes being adjusted to a person's wages. Despite common conceptions: poor people aren't lazy. They aren't sitting on their butts all day (some are, but so are some rich people). They don't feel entitled to owning everything the rich have. They just want a chance to not have to struggle for basic survival.

*Math problem time! You spend most of your paycheck on food for your family and on rent and gas. Suddenly, you get a flat tire. Or your fridge breaks down. How easily can you get to work/fix your fridge?*

Poor people genuinely have troubles saving money, and "going up a class". In their mind, they could buy a suit for an amazing job interview, or eat for a week. The money for taxes is not just free handouts. It's not a mentality of let's all just **** the rich.

I hope this helped. I'm sorry if it came off as offensive. I just get pretty upset when issues like this are not looked at fairly. This topic hits pretty close to home, I grew up in a household of living off of mac and cheese, crappy hot dogs, and powdered milk. It genuinely sucks, and affects how you look at the world.

• Yes, they do say that the rich don't pay their fair share. They say it all the time. The problem is, the rich pay all of the taxes.

• Because the Democrat playbook to get voters is based on the strongest SALES technique- play on emotions, not facts. Oh, you're black - your poor because whitey hates you. Oh, you're poor, that's because the "man' has it out for you. No worries, you don't need to accept personal responsibility for your position in life, we will take care of you, just vote us back in and we'll tax that evil rich guy and give you free things.

Its good to see the YAHOO base of uneducated, sold on the emotional - "I'm being screwed by the rich guy" is posting here in force.

The 2 biggest impediments to wealth creation is the Federal Reserve destroying the value of a dollar and government regulations.

If more people understood Austrian Economics - read some Von Mises or articles by Murray Rothbard they might actually understand how these things work.

• "What about the fact that the top 1% control about 40% of the nations wealth?" And pay about 40% of the taxes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

I belive that is you use resources like roads, the enviorment, labor, and the police. You should pay your fair percentange of it. Ask your self is it fair for Sally Jones a low-paid teacher to pay as much as Al Gore that makes much more in taxes. All her money goes toward surviving and she may have a little extra money to do some lesiure activities, while Al Gore could "share" more to help the country run. Doing your fair share is a concept most people use in kindergarten, The person asking this seems to already have a bias, but have a "think" about it if you are not sure.

• 5 years ago

Because the rich DON'T pay their fair share of taxes.

• 5 years ago

Democrats believe that the more you make, the more you should be taxed. Nothing crazy about that, its a common belief. Its just that democrats either dont have a limit to how much the rich should be taxed, or its a much higher limit than what Republicans would allow (this is how in decades past, the wealthiest, what we'd call the 1% today, were taxed 70, 80, even 90%). Democrats like to spend money - lots of money. They dont want to go into debt, so in an attempt to pay for all this, they like to go after those who have money. So since they have this belief the rich should pay much more (as a percentage) than those in the middle or even upper middle class, they say those people dont pay enough in taxes.

• 5 years ago

Because the rich don't, they have several different options to shelter their money, they have the ability to hide their assets from taxes, so therefore they don't pay their fair share. On the numbers it looks like they pay a percentage, but that's not after they can shelter their tax, and they have different ways to do it. Most are legal, some are not.

• How is it that the very people who pay all of the taxes not pay their fair share?

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

They said the RICH not the top 1%. The top 1% is taxed like that because of the Rich.

The rich are people who stay rich and dance around loop holes so they can keep their wealth a secret.

Donald Trump = not rich.

The Rockerfeller Family = Rich.

They don't pay their fair share because they split up their earnings into shell companies to reflect a lower tax bracket.

People like Donald Trump do pay their fair share and the 37%.

They say the rich don't pay their fair share because they don't, and won't because they were the ones who designed the tax rates in the first place.

That's why george bush beat ross perrot. Because Ross Perrot was someone who invented the classifications and at the time bush was a business owner who was just hyper regulated. Now he created a new 1% which takes on all those bull S taxes HE invented and his SON instituted.

That's why America is backwards, because some retard from texas made everything work in his favor and they jump around and dance through the loop holes they made.

Still doesn't change the fact these shady, has everything fed via a silver spoon, types, the rich, still don't pay their fair share.

• 5 years ago

Taxes are relative to a percentage of what someone pays.The more someone makes, the more they are able to contribute. Therefore, that percentage shifts a bit depending on the state, due to the income bracket. Everybody rich or poor don't like those taking our tax dollars for free while not working for it or giving their share, via unemployment, disability, social security. The idea that Democrats approve of this is mostly false...Democrats are for helping those who could help themselves, yet don't want to. I'm NOT for that!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.