Why do liberals lie about Citizens United?

Like that assh*le who flew his play helicopter over the White House?

Update:

@llewen, that's the lie. Show me where the Court held this.

Update 2:

I believe I should have the right to associate with other people, pool are money, so we can be heard over the loud mouth LIEberal types.

Update 3:

Wage Slave, you have illustrated the lie perfectly.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Ray S
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You say that liberals lie about Citizens United. But, you don't say what the lie is ... That would be a good thing to know, here.

So, I'll say this and you can tell me where the lie is:

For the purpose of elections for federal office, the Citizens United ruling made it legal for corporations (and the uber wealthy through their corporations) to spend as much as they want for political ads that support any and all candidates of their choosing or to oppose any and all candidates they want to destroy ... And, to do so anonymously. Note that there is a small limitation: This money cannot be given directly to a candidate's campaign. It can only be used in ads developed independently of and without consultation with a campaign.

The ruling gives corporations the first amendment right of freedom of speech for speech pertaining to federal elections (Note: The Bill of Rights was written for The People). And, the ruling qualifies spending as speech: Which is to say that, in affect, money is speech for corporations ... So, it is fair to say that the Citizens United ruling treats corporations as People and Money as their speech for the purpose of affecting the outcome of elections for office in the federal government.

It should also be noted that through the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, it is now possible for foreign owned corporations (to include foreign governments .... e.g. China) through their U.S. corporate holdings, to also spend anonymously so as to affect the outcomes of our federal elections.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-205....

http://www.publicintegrity.org/2012/10/18/11527/ci...

The Citizens United ruling is a travesty which will ultimately destroy our democracy if it isn't overturned in some way.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Not sure that 'liberals' do lie about Citizen United. Also not sure that that has to do with flying a play helicopter over the White House.

Corporations/unions are not people and money is not free speech.

• Pete
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

I've heard of this group but sorry to say, don't know about em. I'll look it up.

Would be nice though..to unite in only one thing..get money out of politics. Pipe dream I guess.

• ?
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Your point would probably be made if you actually said what liberals "lied" about.

>>@llewen, that's the lie. Show me where the Court held this.

SCOTUS said that corporations cannot be limited in their political campaign contributions due to the first amendment. Since rights apply to people, that implies that corporations are also people.

From the majority opinion:

"Although the First Amendment provides that “Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech,” §441b’s prohibition on corporate independent expenditures is an outright ban on speech"

It also literally states:

"The Court has recognized that the First Amendment applies to corporations"

There are a further 150+ references to the first amendment and applying that to corporations throughout.

From SCOTUS here:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-205....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

The Supreme Court has decided that oligarchs can purchase our government with their "free speech" (billions of dollars). It doesn't get much more true than that...

• jimmy
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

because they didn't win, and they CAN'T admit they lost because they didn't have a good case!..so in their minds, "the fix was in!"

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

You BELIEVE that corporations are PEOPLE and have the right to donate money to political campaigns? REALLY?

And the nut job flew a GYROCOPTER, buffoon. (On a Gyrocopter, the overhead rotor is not powered).

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Everyone lies. Are you saying you don't?

• 6 years ago

No we dont. There is no reason. Usually you need one. Its not mandatory with you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.