Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 6 years ago

Does a motherboard actually affect gaming performance?

I'm building a pc and I'm still a newbie from talking about computers stuff.Do I really need to buy expensive motherboard for gaming? tell me what is motherboard is really does or what motherboard is good for my spec?

My gaming spec:

CPU:Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Video Card:EVGA GeForce GTX 980

Memmory:G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3-1866

SSD:Samsung 850 Evo

HDD:WD black 2tb

PSU:EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Thomas
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Mostly not a lot. Don't go dirt-cheap on a motherboard, get something decent, but there's no need to spend crazy money. "Gaming" PC hardware in general is often, though not always, a bit of a rip-off.

The motherboard is more about features. Does it support overclocking, and what's the interface like? Does it support SLI and/or Crossfire? What size is it? That kind of stuff.

There are some performance factors. A good motherboard may allow an overclock that's 0.1-0.2 GHz higher than a mediocre (but still overclock-supporting) motherboard does. And sound quality might be better on a good motherboard but if you care about that you probably want a real sound card anyway.

• 6 years ago

Motherboards does effect gaming. It's actually one of the most important things. You don't, however, need an expensive motherboard. Motherboard essentially combines everything you have (processor, graphics card, ram, etc) and produces the experience you want on screen by making them work together. So the motherboard would have to be powerful/fast enough to take in the signal/data from your processor and graphics card. If you have a slow motherboard, you wouldn't be using your processor or graphics card to it's full potential. For example, if you get a slow motherboard with slow speeds and bad capacitors, you may only be able to use only 70% of your GTX980, while at the same time it will be running hotter and dying on you sooner, potentially harming/damaging your cpu or gpu as well.

Just make sure your board supports everything you want it to plus a few extras. Don't go for the cheapest one available, especially for work and gaming. At the same time you do not need a top of the line quad sli motherboard when you only have one gpu.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Motherboards won't really affect your gaming performance, but what it will do is limit what components you can actually use and what kind of upgrades you can expect in the future.

The main thing to ensure is that the motherboard supports all of the components you want, so socket type for processor, amount and speed of ram etc.

Then consider if you're likely to want to upgrade in the near future. Perhaps you'll want dual graphics cards soon in which case you'll need a board with two PCIe x16 slots and either crossfire or SLI support (depending on whether you're going amd or nvidia).

If you intend to get more ram, ensure it has free slots so you don't have to completely replace what's already there with bigger sticks.

You might even want a processor upgrade so again, ensure it has a modern socket type that supports future processors.

Ultimately though once it's built and working, the motherboard won't do much to affect the performance of the parts.

• 6 years ago

No, motherboard does not affect gaming performance, but it also takes important role in building, you should buy motherboard last, according to your CPU and certain other hardwares, because not all hardwares go on all motherboards, certain hardwares need certain motherboards.

You need lga 1150 motherboard for that build.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.