Jalyn Ash asked in PetsHorses · 5 years ago

Can I be a equine vet tech and barrel race?

I want to be a equine vet tech when I graduate in a year. But I also wanna barrel race professionally. Will being a vet tech be a flexible enough job? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

While both require a lot of time, if you properly manage your schedule there is no reason you cannot do both. There are veterinarians that still find time to ride! Just know that you'll probably have to make some sacrifices, but that's the case with any career path. And riding professionally in any discipline is also a huge dedication... there will be clashes but there is no reason you shouldn't at least try.

Edit to add (and rant): Please do not be discouraged by negativity here... I do hate to see discouragement to youth who have realistic goals, and this goal is very reasonable. Apparently people do not understand the difference between a veterinarian and a TECH. If you wanted to be a medical doctor or full blown vet I'd caution you more but as a veterinary TECHNICIAN there is no reason not to at least try and pursue your career and barrel racing. YES it will take time management, dedication, and sacrifice but it can still be done.

Let me tell you, I have been in the military, am currently in nursing school with two years of school behind me, two more years to go, and will hopefully be an RN at the end of that. All throughout this I have leased horses, owned a horse (who I still have despite moving several times), took lessons, and even did some competitions. Endurance rides mostly, but I dabbled with Western Pleasure, Halter (APHA), Hunter/Jumper (what I'm trying to get more into now), heck even cattle sorting. It has been HARD but worth ever second.

People told me I wouldn't be able to do something all my life, so I have zero tolerance for adults (I assume) telling a youth they cannot pursue a very realistic goal because the didn't take the time to understand all that is involved.

I apologize for the rant and a short life biography. People here are just so quick to be negative.

Anyway, GO FOR IT! And Good luck!

Source(s): Life.
    • Work load can be worked with... with time management and dedication! I was in the military with horses and it worked fine. Now nursing school and in two years, hopefully a registered nurse. I still find time.

Girl wants to be a tech.. not a vet!

It depends on the needs of your boss. You will be working weird hours if you are accepted into a practice. Don't take it for granted that you will even be accepted into any practice. I don't know have you even graduated? Or is this some question from a 14 year old on ya horsey? I would think after your parents sink $150,000 into your education and you realize how ill conceived your ideas of "days off" to show horsey, you will realize that is the last thing to worry about right now./ you'll have to go an extra mile to compete.

• Or money out ones pocket! Vet techs here commonly go to community colleges. Very affordable compared to some other degrees.

I think vet techs have pretty hefty schedules. It probably depends where you work, but I would say, no you probably wouldn't be able to barrel race.

Yes. Kevin Keane is a vet and he also events. Just manage your time well.

• Rosie

If you can find the time to do both, there is no reason why not.

However, both are very time consuming, so unless you are great at organizing, it may be difficult.

Good luck!

• Rosie is spot on and I 100% agree. I know a vet who does 100 mile endurance ride competitions. A lot of work and times goes into that, but she still does it and loves it.