SSD vs HDD?

Alright so I've been researching about the difference between these 2 storage components and I understand almost everything about them and that in a build you should place the operating system and important programs on the SDD for faster boot times. the question I have is, does the SSD help when you're running the program? For example say during Battlefield 4 or any game where there is a loading screen inside the game and not just when you're booting up the game (like opening doors and time between each mission in the campaign) will the SSD those things run faster than a HDD aswell?

Thank you.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Adrian
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Best Answer

SSD will always be faster, but while gaming, you will hardly notice any speed improvemnt in most games. Games are video intensive, and loading a small piece of code to go to next scene will likely be cached by the game ahead of time anyway, thus you may not see any difference at all. Even if a game loads a small piece of code while gaming, the difference in load times will be in the milliseconds...

For initial loading of the game, there may be a few seconds difference - probably noticeable, since an initial game load could be in the order of hundreds of megabytes (even a gigabyte). However the time for loading a game is a one time shot, not really worth the worry...

In summary, one should just run games off a HDD, save the SSD for system stuff only.

• 5 years ago

To make things short to start, yes, get a SSD. In general, if your building a computer the ideal setup is get a SSD (around 120gb will be enough), although prices have dropped significantly. Ideally you will want to install your OS on the SSD and then setup a HDD for data (so that what be games, programs, etc.). Obviously if you want to install a lot of games on a SSD your going to burn your bank account quickly. I usually have the OS on the SSD and a few programs, I have a 128GB and have like 70GB left still (that should give you an idea). As far as boot times you will notice a significant difference. Think about it, HDD's are ancient now days, chips vs spinning platters!

To sum up, get an SSD! Not really worth putting games on, put them on a data drive (HDD).

• 5 years ago

You haven't stated what size SSD you're thinking of. You're right, only install your operating system on the SSD unless you can afford lots of them - you will need at least 256Gb as a lot of software tends to install itself on your C: drive anyway without your knowledge.

When you do install the SSD, turn off indexing on the drive - they're so fast that they don't need it like conventional hard drives.

You would be better off having two SSD's - one for your operating system and one for games. Alternatively you could load your games onto a virtual drive (basically, using your memory as a hard drive) and things will be just as fast.

• bob
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Yes, it helps when you are running the program. Will you notice it? Depends on the game.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

anytime when theres a loading screen, yes it helps

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.