Brian asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 5 years ago

What credit card should I get to start paying back my student loans?

Hello,

here's the situation

I am about to graduate from undergrad

I do not have any credit

I will be working a full-time job shortly

My loan servicer does accept credit card payments over the phone

I just want to use the credit card to pay back my loans

I do not want any unnecessary fees, high apr, any crazy credit card perks

I want the absolute lowest fees, and I plan to get every payment in ON TIME

I would be using it no longer than 1.5

years

What particular card should I look into?

I am located in Queens, New York by the way

Also, I have 28,950 student loan debt with my loan servicer being Navient

Favorite Answer

There is no credit card that you should get to start paying back your student loans.

You cannot use a credit card to pay back student loans without any unnecessary fees.

Also, and more importantly, a student or new graduate who has no credit and has not yet started working usually cannot get a credit card.

• rpf5

No first time card gives you that. Its doubtful you would get a card with a credit limit high enough. Most first cards have a $300 to $500 credit limit. The plan only works if you can afford it. You don't even have a job yet.

P.S. You DO have credit. It is called "student loan".

That's a crazy idea! Any credit card is going to have higher rates than your student loans. Just pay the student loan it will be much cheaper.

This would only make sense (maybe) if you had a rewards card (which you do not yet qualify for), and paid off the card in full every month. Set up a checking account and have Navient auto-draft every month. No forgotten phone calls, no late payments, etc and a good record of all of your payments. ($29,000 / 18 months = 1600 + per month. If you can sustain that, good for you; but I would back off a bit.}

>> start a relationship with a credit union, if one is handy. They will have a cc that comes closest to what you want.

{Those crazy cc perks are worth $1,000 a year (tax-free) to me. I like crazy.}

If you're going to pay off your card balance every month (which you should), then the interest rate doesn't matter. Just look for a card with low or no annual fee.

• Jeff T

Stupid idea. To pay over the phone, use a debit card. With $29,000 in debt that's about a car payment.

The absolute lowest fees would be abandoning this non-sense plan. If you insist on paying over the phone (You shouldn't) use your debit card.