If I vote for ever-greater welfare programs financed by high taxation, do I honor Jesus' call to care for the poor?

Do welfare support individual responsibility and the preservation of families, priorities for Jesus? We have lots of relevant data from Baltimore.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • G C
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

He called us to help the poor, not the civil government. The poor, sick, widows and orphans, the education of Godly things--those are the responsibility of the church government, not the civil government.

PS All civil governments must be based in the first instituted government--self government where each man is responsible for himself. Now you see why the civil government is not to give welfare as it promotes laziness. God commanded that if we eat, we must work.

• 6 years ago

If you listened to Obama's speech about the young rioters in Baltimore, you will know what is needed. You mentioned Baltimore.

The young people need job training so they can get jobs to make enough money to make their livings. They want to work, not have to turn to selling drugs to be able to eat.

Growing up on welfare is not good. There can be enough food stamps, card, to buy food for 3 weeks. And they have to live in whatever...the cheapest home, apartment they can find.

Welfare is good to help the handicapped and some senior citizens. They can not work. And if a woman can not support her children, she needs help. If the children get job training and jobs, that will break the welfare circle in the families.

Yes, Jesus said to help the poor. He said, "Help those who help themselves." "Help the widows and orphans."

• gillie
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Yes. Jesus never specified how the poor were to be cared for, and Christians have done a piss-poor job of donating enough to meet the needs of poor families.

You don't actually think the cure for poverty is more dire poverty, do you? How about encouraging job growth instead of paying companies to move their operations overseas? How about increasing the minimum wage so the working poor have more spending money, which will increase economic activity? Why do conservatives think every problem can be solved by starving some more poor people to death, or making them turn to drug dealing or prostitution in order to survive? "Tax cuts for the rich!" is their battle cry, as if poverty is magically eliminated when a billionaire has an extra few million.

• Yes, I would definitely say welfare programmes are an important part of honouring God's will that we not be greedy and care for the poor.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

I don't think that He intended for us to steal from (rob) the rich to give to the poor, and I doubt if Robin Hood actually existed or did this too. If you want to help the poor, do it out of your own money, or it is wrong.

• Archer
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Did the bible also not state give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach that man to fish and he will feed his family for a life time (and become an active contribute to a society). If one breeds a dependent society they are simply giving that society a new "master" to serve.

• Moi
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Jesus was talking about Christian individuals looking out for each other - as in the church. Not political activism.

You don't have to wait for the government to help the needy. Do it yourself today.

• 6 years ago

No. Here's what the Bible says about that:

"If a man will not work, he shall not eat".

2 Thessalonians 3:10.

• 6 years ago

If society is helping those who cannot fend for themselves, without making them more reliant on welfare than they need to be, I guess society is caring for the poor, and that they are being cared for is the important thing.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

No.

"Show me an American ghetto, I'll show you a place run by Democrats" -Unknown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6HEH23W_bM

Youtube thumbnail

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.