How can i get my film done professionally?

Ok obviously I know it costs a lot of money, but I want to take this to the next level, and I'm willing to sacrifice. I've been writing scripts for a while now. I'm also an actress and would like to star in one of my own films. I just don't know how to go about doing just that.

Favorite Answer

You can, but not just like that. It doesn't only cost a lot of money to produce a movie, but it's also a very selective process. In other words, you will need to prove yourself as a writer first. You can *try* to land representation in order to approach serious companies. W/O a rep you can only approach indie and small companies, the ones that accept unsolicited material, but that's it, if you don't have a rep or a referral (connections, basically).

If you've never gotten professional feedback on your screenplays, do it. Chances are you're still miles away from being ready. Then keep working your butt off. For a few more years. Write more scripts. Also learn about the business side of show business. Bring your skills and your scripts to a professional level and make sure you have at least 3-5 pro-level scripts ready to go. THEN you will have a shot at making something.

Bear in mind that even if you have connections/rep it doesn't mean you will ever sell anything. Getting your screenplay sold and then getting it made... is extremely hard. Even repped writers struggle to sell just one. The craft is difficult, and plus you need to know how to be a businessman/woman in order to actually sell. And the industry filters. If you're not at the required level (and it doesn't sound like you are), skills and knowledge of the craft+industry wise... you will never see your film made.

Also worth mentioning that selling a screenplay basically means selling the rights to the material. That means that once sold, the studio can do whatever they want. And they WILL rewrite your screenplay. You might not even recognize your baby once the process is over. You? You will be off the project once it's sold. If you want to have more control and say, you will need a lot of experience in the field. It's all about experience.

Another thing worth mentioning, just in case, the industry doesn't work with minors. For many reasons.

Now, since agencies + many managements + many small studios + all big studios don't accept unsolicited material and/or w/o a referral, you will need to somehow get someone to read your script. How? Find a way. By networking, winning/placing high in (only the major) contests, cold querying, fellowships... anything except for scams (careful! Writers are an easy target). It's not easy to land something. Some aspiring writers land representation or a gig or a sale after 10 years of trying. And the majority will never land anything. That's because only 1% and even less of the scripts that get read at all are at the required level. Plus, you need luck, and a lot of it. That's your odds. They're against you to begin with. You need to be within that 1% if you want that slim chance of getting something made. Your only chance of maybe getting anything sold is if you work your butt off (every single day, for years, in order to develop the skill), to master every single aspect of the craft, to learn everything there is to learn about it and about the biz, to write enough pro-level writing samples... and then the real work will begin.

What I'm saying is, you don't just write a script and get it made. If you're willing to sacrifice, sacrifice your time. If you mean sacrifice by not getting paid or not getting paid as much, then nobody's doing you a favor. It's a business, first and foremost. Like you said, it's about money. Besides, they HAVE to pay you.

Right now I suggest that your next station will be getting your screenplay(s) evaluated by a professional. See where you stand with your skills and what you still need to work on. Like I said, chances are you're nowhere near ready to start getting your work out there. When you are ready, use what you learned about the biz and about the industry. And research, target, and then try to get reading requests and/or enter (major) competitions. And hope that something good will happen. Nothing will happen anytime soon, that's for sure.

• Cogito

Most script-writers get started by writing short plays for competitions and festivals connected to community theatre. Then they manage to get a full-length play performed in public, write more and more, and if they're really good, they might get to sell them to professional theatres, After that, they'll have a great resume to approach film companies.

Most aspiring film-makers get their work performed and filmed during their university courses.

That's how they start up - short films are how they learn the business.

There are sometimes film clubs in cities, where groups of actors, aspiring directors, sound engineering students, etc, all get together to make a short film.

But if you're talking about making a real movie - that would cost tens of millions, you'd need many contacts in the industry, business advisers, a lawyer - I don't think you have any idea of how costly and complicated that would be.