Do you need a power supply to use an antistatic wrist strap?

I bought my case, my motherboard and an antistatic wrist strap. I don't yet have a power supply. Do I need one to ground myself properly? If not, how would I hook up the clip?

• pdl756
    Favorite Answer

Allow me to clear up what appears to be a common misconception regarding "grounding yourself". The truth is, you're not grounding yourself or anything else for that matter. It's all about a difference in static potential. Your body has a static charge and what you're working on (in this case a computer) has a static charge. When the static charge of your body is at a different level than the static charge of your computer, then there is a difference in the static potential, and when you touch the computer, this static charge will equalize between the two in the form of a static arc. Sometimes the difference is so slight that there won't be a noticeable snap, pop, jolt or arc. But once you and the computer are at the same static level, there is no longer any danger of an Electrostatic discharge (ESD) damaging the sensitive electronics inside a computer. So, basically, you want to be at the same static level as your computer to avoid a discharge, which is static's way of equalizing the difference in potential between two objects with different levels of static charge.

I've built many computers and have never used a wrist strap, I've always touched the metal case frame before I work inside them, especially if I leave and come back to it, and have never had any issues with them. If I were to use an antistatic wrist band, I would connect it to the metal case frame.

Why would you need a power supply to ground yourself? Just attach the other end of the strap to the case and you are grounded.

• Norm F

You have to connect your wrist strap to ground So how do your other answers think that your case is connected to ground

dude......no such thing......just be in a place where there are no carpets...and u r done....or if not....then just wear the band and tie the other end to the case..or any metallic object