Why are celebrities naming their baby girls, boys names?

I don't understand why are celebrities naming their kids names like Wyatt (Mila Kunis and that db Ashton Kuthcer) or James (Blake Lively and whomever is her husband). Obviously, this then leads to the increasing ammount of ''normal'' people giving their girls boys names. I know it happened before with names such as Casey, Ashton, Avery... but naming a girl James is a bit too much for me.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

It is the trendy thing to do today. People want something different. In the US surnames were not commonly used as first names until Ashley started climbing the charts for girls in the late 70's and Madison started climbing the charts for girls in the middle 80's. The first person I ever met who had a surname used as first name was a girl named Ashley. She would be in her mid 30's now. The name Ashley was never a common name for boys in the US. In the mid 70's people named their sons names like Scott, James, Nicholas, Michael, Mathew, Daniel, Jason, Jeffrey, Christopher, Jeremy, John, Adam, Aaron, Joseph, William, and Kyle.

US women in their 30's and 40's grew up watching TV shows like Dynasty, the Colby's, and Sisters. They also watched the movie Splash. In those programs there were several women who had traditionally masculine names. That I had a big influence on my tastes in names as did meeting so many people when I was growing up who had the same names.

It's a case of gender stereotyping - you will see lots of little girls with traditional masculine names but it is very unlikely that you will see a boy with a traditionally feminine name. And since our world is gender biased towards masculinity, sticking masculine names on girls make them "strong" leaving boys names that were originally boys names now stuck on girls as "weak" and "girly".

For instance, the name Ashley. Was a totally acceptable boys name until we started throwing it on many girls in the 80s/90s and now it is highly unlikely the name Ashley would even be considered for a boy born today.

Personally, I don't even see the case being made for names like Casey and Avery.

The only reason behind them doing this that I can think of was that it's a family name, and they were going to use it regardless of the gender.

• Char

Yes the girl James is just too much for me. I just hope they call her Jamie

And Wyatt..that goes to a boy

Another movie star couple named their first girl Lincoln. Another is Frankie (which is cute but too boyish) And then there is the name Sam For a girl. There are so many pretty girl names why use a short boy name?? I just don't get it.

Why not name her Samantha and then call her Sam or Sammy.

I totally agree with you.

• Andrea

I don't liie James for a girl either, but I mean her moms name is Blake so it's kinda tradition. I think Wyatt is cute though, and I don't mind the others. I think it's cute mostly but some names, like James, are kinda weird

Because trendy people are out of their minds... they're sheep they have to follow the herd and will do so right off a cliff if it was packaged as the cool new PC, green thing to do. Maybe that would be a good trend to start!

Blake named her daughter James because it s a family name and she liked having a boys name.

• Rachel

I agree, I really dislike that trend! I think James is way too common a boy name to give a baby girl...same with Wyatt...

I think they're doing it to stand out and be cool and different, but it just looks silly!

who cares, honestly? names are just collections of letters

seems silly to me that we give collections of letters genders! then again we assign roles to infants who don't even know what gender is (for example, a female baby is called a beautiful *little* girl, while a male baby is a big strong boy) and force them into that for the rest of their childhood, it's a very damaging thing that makes girls subconsciously think of themselves as lesser than boys, not as strong/capable, have to look pretty to be worth something, and the boys often reinforce that making nasty comments about girls that they picked up from the adults around them, not to mention boys are often denied the opportunity to explore "girl" interests and activities, told they need to be tough

who says a little girl has to seem feminine, anyway?

Some of them are trying to make a statement, others are just eccentric yahoos. Either way it's wrong to screw up your child's life on a whim.