promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Olivia asked in HealthWomen's Health · 5 years ago

Is TSS something to be scared abouut?

I have swim class for the next three weeks. So, I wanted to start wearing tampons ( my first time). However, I m scared i ll get TSS, if i leave the tampon in for too long.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Kasha
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Not scared, but aware of so you know how to reduce risks and make an informed choices.

TSS is rare but it's still thought to affect as many as 1 in 700 women during their lifetime, younger women such as pre-teens and teens are at highest risk and tampon use is one way that you can contract TSS - tampons also pose additional risks such as increasing risk of vaginal infections, increased menstrual cramps, and exposure to dioxin.

TSS isn't only as a result of leaving tampons in too long, this is a myth - the longer you leave tampons the longer you allow bacteria to multiply and TSST-1 toxins to accumulate so higher risk, but if the bacterial toxin is present and you lack immunity then the effect is immediate. Most tampon-associated TSS cases occur within hours.

Precautions to reduce risk of TSS:

- Change tampons every 4-6 hours.

- Alternate with pads as often as possible.

- Always use lowest absorbency for your flow.

- Avoid rayon tampons: Tampax, Playtex, Kotex.

- Opt for cotton tampons: Cottons, Natracare, Emerita.

- Do not use tampons when not menstruating.

- Do not use tampons with spotting or very light flow.

- Do not use tampons if you have a vaginal infection.

- Do not use tampons overnight while sleeping.

- Wash hands before using tampons.

- Store tampons in clean dry place.

- Learn about TSS and other risks.

You ARE Loved (TSS information) - http://www.you-are-loved.org

If scared of TSS, why not use safer options?

Consider menstrual cups or softcups which are internal like tampons but much safer and more hygienic (don't encourage bacterial growth, effect vaginal pH, damage vaginal tissues, prevent vaginal cleaning, or contain harmful ingredients like tampons) so there's no risk of TSS or any other health risks. This also makes cups more convenient as unlike tampons cups can be worn for up to 12 hours, with any flow and at any time.

What Are Menstrual Cups? - http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodies/what_are_...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

No, it's very rare. Just change your tampon every few hours and you'll be fine.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Just change the tampon often,and you will be ok.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.