Should I fix my 1999 Ford Taurus or just get a new car?

My Ford Taurus has had several major mechanical problems recently, and still needs a new transmission. It also has no power steering and numerous other small repairs like electric problems, ect. Should I pay the 2-3 thousand dollars to fix those problems, or buy a new vehicle for around that same price? I've heard they are good cars, but I have had lots of problems with mine since I got it a couple years ago. It has 134,000 miles on it.

• Andy
    Best Answer

If you decide to keep it find an honest transmission shop. Those year Taurus's were notorious for transmission trouble. However many times it's just a cheap electronic part that needs replacing not the whole transmission. Many dishonest shops sold unnecessary transmissions to people that didn't actually need them. If it turns out it doesn't really need a new one then the car might be worth fixing.

Sounds like a money pit... Get something else, but be smart when deciding on a different car because you might end up in the same situation.

• Nathan5 years agoReport

Good advice. The car I had before the Taurus had transmission trouble similar to my current one, and it eventually went up in a literal funeral pyre. Transmission burned up. So I know what you mean by being careful in the next purchase.

Hi yes a new car would be a much better idea.

Get a new car, we had one and it needed a new transmission. We had that repaired and not that much longer after we had ours repaired it needed a fuel pump.

Dude....r u joking?.....not only would that be a terrible financial move, don't you at some point feel like you deserve to drive a nice vehicle....life is short