Danella asked in HealthOther - Health · 5 years ago

Merck, the mmr manufacturer lists measles as a possible side effect of the mmr vaccine. should I still vaccinate my child with the mmr?

Merck says there's an 8% chance of getting measles from the measles vaccine, and sever side effects can include pneumonia, arthritis, death, and to many more to list. but if I'm giving my child a vaccine to prevent measles and they get measles from it is it really worth it? should I still give this vaccine to my child?

Favorite Answer

I would counsel you to do some deep research. Make an informed decision on information you found yourself, not from some other source . Research vaccine injury. Do not limit yourself to the information put out by the drug companies and the FDA or any other entity that profits from your child receiving vaccinations.Read some personal stories, and research information that isn't at the top of the google search page.

Remember, you are allowing a drug company to mess with your child's immune system and you are putting your trust in the chemicals they use for some vaccinations. And you should ask yourself, why should a newborn baby get a hepatitis B vaccine when chance of exposure to the strain is almost non existent at that stage of life, ie. few days old.

• Gary K

You have to understand the concept of risk vs benefit.

Childhood measles can lead to pneumonia (about 1 in 20), encephalitis leading to intellectual disabilities (about 1 in 1000), death (about 2 in 1000), and other long term complications.

As opposed to the MMR vaccine which is exceedingly safe. Death is extremely rare, the most common side effects are mild fever, rash, swelling at the injection site. The vast majority of children have no symptoms at all and virtually no one gets the measles from it.

You also have to understand that vaccination is not just about the individual, it's about the entire community. Community immunity (or herd immunity) is required to protect vulnerable people who cannot be vaccinated - people with immune system disorders, people on chemotherapy, the elderly, newborns, etc.

Successful vaccination programs have eradicated disease. Many people are too young to remember the days of polio, smallpox, diphtheria - and the days many kids died from measles. You don't see them anymore thanks to vaccination.

Talk to your doctor.

• Gary K
      5 years agoReport

That's why I said BE SURE TO CHECK THE REFERENCES. There are 90 research papers, studies, citations, etc. Judging by your best answer choice, clearly you are not reading actual science.