Car audio question, help plz?

I have a 2006 Honda civic and the default audio sucks so I had a subwoofer system put in, now 3 months later my system is down but I dont know whats wrong. The 150A fuse on the battery is ok, but the amp is off, the capacitor keeps saying "LO" and isn't charging, and I get no bass other than the crap that the car came with. Plz help!

Setup: Alpine IVA-200 radio, 2 x Kenwood 12" Subs, Audiopipe 1000 watt amp, capacitor(forgot brand)

• KaeZoo
    Best Answer

You need a multimeter to do any serious troubleshooting.

Checking a power problem at an amplifier is pretty simple with a meter. Set the multimeter for DC volts, if it's not autoranging, use the 20V range. Turn the system on, and put the black probe on the amp's ground terminal. Test the voltage on the battery terminal, then the remote terminal. You should get voltage readings around 12 volts.

If the battery reading is low, check the connections at the battery and at the fuse holder. If the remote terminal voltage is low, check the connection at the head unit, and make sure the remote wire isn't pinched or shorted somewhere in the vehicle. If both readings are low, check the amplifier's ground connection.

• don r

Now, you see that capacitors don't help with a power deficiency. Pulling 1000 watts out of your battery for the amp keeps starving the rest of the car and overworking the alternator and the capacitor could not create power to make up for that, so it's complaining, it's dying. Take the capacitor out of the system, add another battery for the amp and use an isolator on that battery so it doesn't drag the main battery down while it sucks off the alternator. Do you really use 1000 watts while riding in the car? I would just go get a massage instead of going deaf. You can hear only just so much, and assaulting yourself with more than that is punishment.

....?

• check your earth, this is a very common symptom of a bad earth from the amp, possibly blown the amp or capacitor from heat because its working hard from the bad earth