Is there anything more ironic than a Christian telling someone in another religion "I won't believe in your religion until I see evidence"?

I have actually heard other Christians tell people this.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Woah, I was expecting one of the atheist users on here to be asking this. I was rather surprised to find out it was you when I clicked on it.

Well, to answer your question on whether there's something more ironic than a Christian demanding for evidence of another religion's claims, there might be something. I think your meant hypocritical, but there's no reason to point that out... I just can't think of something right now...

Well, wait, maybe my newest Pathfinder character I will be roleplaying as. He's a necromantic priest, his race is "reaper", and he's an atheist. If you're not familiar with any of the races in Pathfinder(actually, this is even a 3rd party race, so the chances you know this race is very slim), reapers normally hate the undead, so to justify why a race that normally hates the undead would be befriending the undead as a necromancer, I claim insanity. So, an insane, necromantic, priest reaper who's atheist. Very interesting character lol. Apparently the GM of this campaign is choosing a campaign where the world is reverse of it today: very few people still worship a god, there are militant atheists who hunt down those who do, and then atheists who don't care. I must remind you: this is a BYU-Idaho brony group member, and the players are primarily brony group members(not that that part matters), but all of the group members are BYU-I students, probably all Mormon.

But yeah, the character's name is "Gotloser Totesfluesterer", meaning "Godless death whisperer" in German. He believes in spirits(kind of have when you're a necromancer), but doesn't believe in a god. I had to get my GM's permission to not have a deity, since priests normally do. Instead he had me take an abstract idea that my character almost worships, in this case: death.

And then this is something completely irrelevant: the aforementioned brony group unofficially voted me as president of the group a while ago... I think it was because of the fact I brought pony-related stuff during the off-season, and now I'm GMing Roleplaying is Magic. Plus, I usually reserve a room on campus for us all to watch the latest MLP episode in. Roleplays are fun. Those are the only two RPG's that I can take part in though... as a university student enrolled in 15 credits and having a part-time job, it's difficult to have a lot of free time.

Another subject change(must have ADD or something), in my science foundations class we were required to watch a video about Henry Eyring(President Eyring's dad) called "Mormon Scientist". In it, Joseph Fielding Smith was an apostle at the time, and Henry Eyring was a high priest at the time with no particularly high position in the church at the moment. Anyways, Eyring had a high position in science though, a very well-respected Theoretical Physicist who was nominated many times for a nobel prize. He was supportive of modern science at the time, but Joseph Fielding Smith was very critical of it and literally just recently wrote a book that was very critical of the scientific findings Eyring was supporting. In this movie, David O. McKay chooses Eyring to represent the church's position on science... it's interesting he was chosen over a general authority.

Now, I mention this because one of the students in the class(our class has discussions, though being a science class that reconciles science with religion, it more turns out like the R&S section on here but in person), anyways, one of the students said something like "I always was taught that what an apostle says is as good as scripture." I was glad to see the professor correct that misconception by telling us the only doctrines in the church are those that are approved unanimously by the 12 and the first presidency and sustained at a General Conference, and thus each apostle can have opinion. Even if 1 of those 15 men disagree with it(as was the case when they voted to make Jesus the Christ canonized scripture), it doesn't happen. So, apostles can and do often have incorrect opinions.

That was a much larger wall text than was needed since I went on tangents of tangents.... Well, you know my story, former-believing Mormon, atheist, and a little insane I guess(since technically any pyshological problem would consider a person insane and I have MDD and social anxiety disorder, not to mention I suspect insomnia or maybe narcolepsy or some other sleep disorder now since I'm essentially nocturnal somehow. Literally, I can't sleep at night. I would lay there with my eyes closed and mind cleared, and wouldn't fall asleep until 5 am, even when I had no sleep the day before. So, to top it all off, I've been sleep deprived the past few days since I can't fall asleep during the day since I have classes and work, even though that's when I'm sleepy and the only time I can fall asleep. It really sucks getting 1-3 hours of sleep each night, and being nocturnal in a diurnal world...). So, yeah, since I'm sleep deprived if it keeps up for much longer I will likely be having hallucinations and extreme paranoia, since those are common symptoms of sleep-deprivations and I already know those are symptoms that happen in my family since that's what my brother had... and unfortunately the doctors are all tied up until Monday because BYU-I has the stupid TB tests going on all week.... -sigh- I hope I don't go too insane... but yeah, as you probably figured out: Gotloser will not be too hard for me to roleplay as: I'm already an insane atheist myself! I would only have to pretend I believe in spirits. Though, that may change if I get hallucinations of spirits soon!

• 6 years ago

It just points out that NOBODY believes in other people's beliefs unless there is proof of some kind. Be that belief Atheist, Catholic, Judaism, Mormonism, Jehovah Witness, Protestant, Muslim or what ever, they ALL have the same thought. " Prove yourself and your beliefs."

What is the difference between a Christian saying it to another Christian of another denomination, or an Atheist saying it to a Christian? One thing different, is that all denominations of Christians believe in ONE God. And so when one denomination questions another, it is about HOW they believe, and not IF they believe.

• BILL
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

All religions have some ignorant people. You can't judge all of any group based on a few.

• 6 years ago

I understand why you would think it is ironic. However, people ususally do not radically change what they beleive unless they have a very good reason to, such as new evidence. That is how it is with atheists, why would it be any different for Christians?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

"Evidence" of religion is based upon scripture, knowledge and understanding.

No use telling a Protestant that the reason we Catholics believe something is because we interpret the scriptures this way, when their interpretation is entirely different.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Is it not a healthy attitude to want evidence before completely changing ones beliefs? Isn't that what atheists are always demanding? "Prove it to me before I change my entire belief system."

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

You disapprove that they do what you do. You aren't one of these people that want them to stop taking medicines and using iPhones, eh

You know your question is legitimate. Yet you feel they have no right to ask it themselves.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

there's not even evidence for Atheism

• 6 years ago

Not ironic, but hypocritical. They know no matter how much evidence they are given, they will not change their mind.

• 6 years ago

LOL, a real Christian wouldn't even say such a stupid thing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.