Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 5 years ago

Do you contact the record label or the copyright holder to use music in a film?

So I want to use a song from The Leftovers soundtrack in my short film, and the soundtrack is on the WaterTower Music label and copyrighted to Warner Bro Entertainment inc. Who do I contact to get permission?

2 Answers

  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    WaterTower Music is owned by Warner Bros. and operates as one of their divisions.

    Either way, you are getting in touch with the company that owns the copyright. Here's some practical advice on how to go about this:

    "Obtaining Copyright Permissions"

  • 5 years ago

    The record producers generally own the copyright of the sound recordings, or have at least the exclusive right to distribute or perform them in public. As properties go, the rights can also be transferred to various holding companies for administration of royalties, licenses, infringements, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.