Which is better... skydive time in a Caravan or Part 135 time in a C172?

Hi pilots, I was hoping you guys could help me with a decision, especially if there's airline pilots here. I have 650 hours time and I have to make a choice between two opportunities this summer. There's a skydive company that has a Caravan, they are willing to train me in it pending I work out first in a C182 and then a C206. I have lots of 182 time and that's why I have an in with them, plus I know the owner. Then there's a Part 135 scheduled airline that flies c172 and C206 VFR only, that is interested in me. I'd start in the 172. Both jobs would last through the summer and part of Fall, both would yield about the same amount of time, the skydive job might actually give me a little more.

So if my goal is to go to the airlines someday, which job would look better on a resume? Single engine turbine time under Part 91 or single engine recip time under Part 135?

Thanks for any advice :)

Best Answer

If you have no turbine time, take the skydive job unless that's just a carrot to entice you into taking the job. If you're not really going to get much (if any) Caravan experience from the left seat, the Part 135 experience would probably be better for your resume.

• ZumbaGirl5 years agoReport

Thank you Zaphod and everyone else. Except for the one pilot who told me otherwise, everyone else says go with the turbine time!

The TURBINE time is more important... just an opinion but how much time you have in 182/206 or other SE does not count near as much as turbine power like the Caravan.

Source(s): Opinion - TL
  • JetDoc

Caravan time is TURBINE TIME. Doesn't matter that it's only Part 91. It's behind a TURBINE ENGINE, and that's what airlines want to see in your logbook.

Turbine time.