Andy T
Andy T asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 6 years ago

How can you drag the formula in an Excel cell & keep the cells (in the formula) logically grouped?

It's hard to describe in just a question, so let me explain:

I have a collection of sets of columns - 3 columns (let's just say 1,2, & 3) with a merged header of the year (2014, 2013, 2012, etc). At the end of this I have a column for each year & the formula in question -> (1+2)/3.

If the 2014 1,2,&3 cells were in A3, B3, & C3 I would type the formula as (A3+B3)/C3. If I drag this formula to each of the year-columns, the next cell would have a formula of (B3+C3)/D3 - obviously NOT what I am going for (which would be (D3+E3)/F3).

Is there a way (such as changing the formula, adding "$" somewhere, etc), to make it so that when I drag the formula into the next cell(s), it goes onto using the NEXT group of 3 & not include any of the previous ones. ex: (A3+B3)/C3 then (D3+E3)/F3 then (G3+H3)/I3, etc etc

Probably easier handled using VBA.

I infer that this is a group of columns to the right of all other columns. Which columns hold your 'year' values to divide?

How many groups of years (three column sets) do you have?

not in excel. you would have to modify specifically for each year, but then after that, you can drag down using that method, to get a4+b4/c4, a5+b5/c5....etc.