T asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 5 years ago

10mm vs. 45 ACP?

I have a 1911 45 ACP which I regularly shoot and reload ammo for.

The last time I was on the range, I inquired about renting a 10mm handgun. They have none available; and of the 3 ranges within driving distance, there was only one with one (1) 10mm gun, a Glock 20.

1. How is the recoil of a 10mm vs 45 ACP? 45 ACP +P?

2. I just noticed that Starline Brass sells 10mm Magnum and 10 mm Auto? Is the Magnum for revolvers?

3. What companies manufacture a 1911 chambered in 10mm? And what's the cost of their basic 1911 (10mm).

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

1. The 10mm Auto will shoot the same weight bullet 50% faster than the 45 ACP+P. Basically make the 45ACP+P feel like shooting a lady-gun. The recoil is closer to that of the .44 Magnum than it is to any other cartridges.

2. 10mm Magnum is a wildcat designed for revolvers. It is kindof pointless, because, ballistically, it is almost identical to the .41 Magnum. For example, the 10mm Mag will sling a 200gr bullet at 1550 FPS. The 41 Mag will sling a 210 gr bullet at 1550 FPS. The 41 Mag is much more common and doesn't require a custom gun to shoot it.

3. Several do. RIA makes one in the 'budget' 1911 range, and it costs around $600. Some higher end manufacturers do, like:

http://cz-usa.com/product/dw-rz-10-10mm-stainless-...

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-cqb-elite.asp#...

Colt and Kimber also make them.

10mm 1911s generally cost the same as 45 ACP 1911s.

Personally, I think it is a neat round, but only for hunting or for luls. It is way too much round for defense against 2-legged animals.

• T5 years agoReport

I can shoot the .357 Magnum with no problems. But it's not really a "fun gun" to shoot.

$600 is not a big purchase. But if the 10mm is too much because of over-penetration, it's not really gonna be of much use.

I'll look into renting the 40 S&W, and see it I like it, or add another 9mm.

Thanks.

I don't know of any 10mm 1911's. 10mm is a very powerful round. The 40S&W is a shortened 10mm. Ted nugent carries a 10mm pistol. I have never shot one and don't have any interest in owning one. 45 is a nice round for home defense and competition. I like the 40 personally. Great for several applications.

• J. c
      5 years agoReport

There are several companies making 10mm 1911s

The real question is WHY 10mm? What makes 10mm special?

If you investigate thoroughly....I'll bet that you will conclude that its just another unnecessary detour.

• T5 years agoReport

Yes, Higgy Baby! Maybe it's just for a once-in-blue-moon rental. Thanks,

• ?

10mm Vs 45