Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 5 years ago

What does it mean when the weather anchor says there will be a 70 percent chance of rain??

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 🌪
    Lv 6
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    The percentage of the chance of rain is determined by the probability of precipitation. Probability of precipitation is the probability that precipitation will fall at any point, averaged over the forecast area.

    In your case, a 70% chance of rain means that there will be a 70% chance that rain will occur at any given point in the area. It also means that there is a 30% chance that it will not rain. Being that it is a 70% chance, there is a very good chance it will rain. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/?n=pop

    Source(s): Meteorologist/Storm spotter & chaser
    • 🌪
      Lv 6
      5 years agoReport

      From another answer: " NOT mean it's the percentage of a chance of rain determined by the probability of precipitation."

      Hmmm, wonder why the National Weather Service states otherwise?

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

    It means that given 10 parallel universes with identical conditions at the beginning of the day, then during the course of the day it will rain in 7 of them and not in the other 3. In other words it means basically nothing, since we could be in any one of those 10 universes.

    Weather anchors can only be held to their word if they say there is 0% or 100% chance of rain. In these cases they are saying it WILL NOT rain or it WILL rain. Either way they can be proven wrong or right.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • TQ
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

    When the weather anchor says there will be a 70 percent chance of rain it means every point in the forecast area has an 70% chance of observing measurable precipitation (at least 0.01") during the 12 hour forecast period. It also means rain is expected over 70% of the forecast area.

    Contrary to popular opinion ... it does ...

    ... NOT mean there will be rain 70% of the time during the 12 hour forecast period.

    ... NOT mean seven out of ten times when conditions were the same ... it rained.

    ... NOT mean it's the probability more than 1/100th of an inch of precipitation will fall in a single spot ... averaged over the forecast area.

    ... NOT mean it's the percentage of a chance of rain determined by the probability of precipitation.

    50% is considered a 'good' chance b/c either outcome (rain; no rain) is equally likely.

    60% to 70% is considered a 'likely' chance b/c the odds are tilted in favor of one outcome over another.

    Any forecast for rain having at least an 80% chance of occurrence is simply stated as 'rain' without a probability.

    Source(s): National Weather Service If you find this information helpful ... please consider selecting it as Best Answer.
  • 5 years ago

    That means there is a 70% chance that it will rain, and a 30% chance that it wont. In fraction form it would look like this: "7/10" with a ratio of 7:3

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • dylan
    Lv 6
    5 years ago

    7 out of 10 chances it will rain.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • It means there will be 30% chance of having a sunny day

    • Login to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

    It means wear a raincoat and bring an umbrella or a rain hat.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

    That it will probably rain later in the day. If you google your town's weather, you can see the weather by hour!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • donpat
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

    The current weather scenario( temperature, barometric pressure, barometric pressure trend, percent humidity, etc. ), on the average, will result in rain.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    same thing as if someone throws ten apples at you and 7 land right on your head while 3 miss you completely, however the person only has one apple to throw, now which is which? don't you move as the apple is coming!! its' you who asked don't destroy the apple experiment now!

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.