Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why is it considered rude to yell "Play Freebird!" at a rock concert?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think its rude but heres why ...

Kevin Matthews, a Chicago radio personality, claims to have originated the whole "Freebird" phenomenon when he called upon his fans, known as KevHeads, to yell the song title out at a Florence Henderson (she played mother Carol on "The Brady Bunch") concert in the late 1980s. KevHeads did their master's bidding, and a tradition was born. Matthews insists that he never intended for it to be yelled at every concert, however. "It was never meant to be yelled at a cool concert -- it was meant to be yelled at someone really lame," he says in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. "If you're going to yell 'Freebird,' yell 'Freebird' at a Jim Nabors concert."

But Matthews' idea spread across time and genres and has by now produced as many responses from bands to the request "Play Freebird"

• 6 years ago

I don't think it's considered rude, its just an old joke to shout it out as a request. But free bird is a song by lynyrd skynyrd, and it's good, I guess their best known after sweet home Alabama.

• 6 years ago

It's just an old joke that isn't funny anymore.

• Biff
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

because unless it's a Skynyrd concert, you sound like a Moron

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

not rude just played out, it was always kind of a joke

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.