Why is it considered rude to yell "Play Freebird!" at a rock concert?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think its rude but heres why ...

Kevin Matthews, a Chicago radio personality, claims to have originated the whole "Freebird" phenomenon when he called upon his fans, known as KevHeads, to yell the song title out at a Florence Henderson (she played mother Carol on "The Brady Bunch") concert in the late 1980s. KevHeads did their master's bidding, and a tradition was born. Matthews insists that he never intended for it to be yelled at every concert, however. "It was never meant to be yelled at a cool concert -- it was meant to be yelled at someone really lame," he says in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. "If you're going to yell 'Freebird,' yell 'Freebird' at a Jim Nabors concert."

But Matthews' idea spread across time and genres and has by now produced as many responses from bands to the request "Play Freebird"

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

I don't think it's considered rude, its just an old joke to shout it out as a request. But free bird is a song by lynyrd skynyrd, and it's good, I guess their best known after sweet home Alabama.

• 5 years ago

It's just an old joke that isn't funny anymore.

• Biff
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

because unless it's a Skynyrd concert, you sound like a Moron

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

not rude just played out, it was always kind of a joke

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.