Senior citizens: Did your area have a hippie community?

I was born and raised in San Francisco, California.

The Haight-Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco was the area of choice for the hippies. I never visited the neighborhood when the hippies lived there, as my parents told me to stay away from that part of town.

I was just a little kid during the hippie era, but I know they had some communities in Sacramento CA. My oldest sister lived in downtown, where all the "cool-artsy-type" people stayed, and there were lots of hippies there. Also back then that old part of Sac. still had underground tunnels and places by the river where hippies could stay and not be run off the cops. My older brother was a hippie, he lived downtown too. They even had their own claimed spots along the river. My dad would take us swimming there in the summertime, and warn us not to feed the hippies. Crazy huh.

I moved to Sacramento in 1969 and I also visited the hippie area of San Francisco. I wasn't a hippie but I've always been a "Bohemian."

• Kai

Yes we did. It had already been a "beaknik" area, lots of artists, rents were still cheap. The "high" street had lots of small boutique kind of shops, craft shops. It s where I first saw a Crate & Barrel, mostly dishes and cookware and they were in actual barrels and that straw-like stuffing stuff, kind of on wood crates, just real simple and basic. Eateries were all fairly simple and basic, some vegetarian places. And Second City was there, or close by (I have a lousy sense of distance, as well as time). Some of the streets were still cobbled too. I loved going there but it was not close to where we lived so I didn t get there all that often. The hippies started moving in because there were small coffeehouses where they could play, they could hang out and play their guitar, etc. And of course, hippies were on most of the college campuses. I remember being downtown and Up With People, all clean cut and matchy-matchy outfits, singing one of their uplifting songs in one of the plazas and a lot of hippies standing around watching them like they were aliens from another planet. No hostility, no degrading words. I grew up near a large university so we had a LOT of hippies always around, lots of drugs, lots of political and social gatherings, lots of police activity.

Once in West Texas, about 1970 something, a farmer leased to hippies a section of land south of Lubbock for the hippies to congregate. Kind of like Woodstock. Hippies came from all over the nation and state and local police set up a parameter around the sight to watch with field glasses, the jails filled up with people coming in with drugs, no drivers license, speeding, you name it. My dad and my cousin went to the event to listen to hippy music and we walked among the campers to get a close look. It was peaceful and pleasant. It had to be with hundreds of police eyes on them at all times. I don't think they ever came back for a second session after the one.

• Ann

Not in west Texas! The hippies would have been tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail! There was a hippie community called "God's Children" somewhere around Ft. Worth, but by the time the 70's rolled around, it was gone. I think they had a community garden, free love, and the men wore long hair. The west Texas good ol' boys didn't like them very much. That's why they didn't last long.

• E. M

Where I grew up there were odd individuals, here and there, who tried to dress like hippies but I'm not sure they understood what it was all about really. I think that some people are just intent of trying to look like the latest fad no matter how silly it makes them look.

no. i grew up in a rural community without hippies. i can even move forward all the way to the 80's and remember seeing Boy George on MTV and thought that he was an unattractive female. my mind couldn't wrap itself around what wasn't normal for the area i grew up in.

I remember Haight St before the counter-culture and it was just a working class area. I had left S.F. by the time the hippies came around.

• kate

No we didn't have a hippie community where I lived.

No, we didn't have a specific area where I grew up in NJ. By that time, we were trying to break away from segregated neighborhoods.